PDA

View Full Version : 2007-2011 Nissan Maxima clearcoat

Joelotto
12-15-2012, 04:22 AM
I'm thinking about getting a used Maxima and wanted to see what the experts here think about the factory clearcoat(hard, soft, thin...etc). I know it can vary from car to car but I just wanted to see what people here have experienced on these cars. Feed back please

Thanks

Joe

Jaretr1
12-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I believe, if I am not mistaken, Nissan is known for relatively hard clear coats.

Bill1234
12-15-2012, 10:36 AM
some japanese cars have no clear which would have the color of the paint on the microfiber towel. It think Nissan does have a clear, I would say that they are medium to hard for nissan

Andr3wilson
12-15-2012, 11:15 AM
I have owned a couple Infiniti's and did polishing work for my Infiniti dealership.

Infiniti is owned by Nissan, in my experience I have found this:

The "self healing" clear was only around for a while, before moving back to an acrylic clear coat.

Now the only Nissan I have worked on was a 09' 370Z. In my experience with the clears they use, they are about a medium hardness.

Not hard like a ceramic, but hard enough to avoid major wear and tear.

For thickness, they are actually very thick to start with. They average between 120-130 microns depending on the car.

I have found from polishing, Menzerna PF2500 and a white pad on a DA will polish out swirls with ease.

If you maintain the car, for example use SF4500 and a finishing pad (blue, grey, red, gold) to remove any light swirls or marring, you will prolong the life of the clear coat. Its better to lightly polish every so often then compound deep swirls once a year.

Just stay careful with avoiding swirls and marring, you should be good.

swanicyouth
12-15-2012, 11:59 AM
When you get to the car, look under the hood. You may see a sticker like this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/16/u7u2a7an.jpg

This sticker is from my 01 Pathfinder. The clear coat on that car is pretty hard.