PDA

View Full Version : Wheels and Opti-Coat...

tommythecat
12-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Is it ok to use Opti-coat on the inside of wheels?

A buddy is getting a new set of wheels and I offered to Opti-Coat them for him before he gets them put on.

Is there a benefit or is it overkill to do the inner portion of the rim?

Thanks,
TtheC

rider9195
12-14-2012, 08:05 AM
It is completely fine to use Opti Coat on the inside part of the wheel. The inner barrel isn't that much surface area so you won't have to use a ton of extra product. In my opinion it is definitely worth coating the barrel.

tuscarora dave
12-14-2012, 08:09 AM
It is completely fine to use Opti Coat on the inside part of the wheel. The inner barrel isn't that much surface area so you won't have to use a ton of extra product. In my opinion it is definitely worth coating the barrel.
I agree with Ryan and will add...make sure to use a mild degreaser to remove any manufacturing/shipping oils before applying the OC to the barrels. It really does make cleaning the barrels a lot easier and especially going from brand new forward with the coating applied. No better time than when brand new. :dblthumb2:

tommythecat
12-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys but I guess my post was a little vague on what I meant by inner portion of the wheel...sorry.

I meant the actual part inside the tire. I have had wheels corrode on that part and wound up causing slow leaks after a while. I was wondering if coating that part would be of any benefit.

I have every intention of coating the barrels. :xyxthumbs:

Thanks again,
TtheC

BobbyG
12-14-2012, 08:35 AM
You can apply Optimum Opti-Coat to any part of the wheel but as others have indicated be sure to thoroughly degrease and clean any surface you intend to coat....:props:

Having the wheel on a bench or table waist high is perfect for working on a wheel....:dblthumb2: