PDA

View Full Version : Lake Country 4" Glass Cutting Pads....are they available in 3"?

Kaban
12-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Does anyone know if you can get the LC glass cutting pads in 3" instead of 4"?

The problem with the 4" is that you DEFINITELY need a flexible backing plate with these.... something like the 2-7/8" rotary flexible plate here at AG (the white one with the black top), or the Gloss-It soft backing plate.

Using these pads on a regular backing plate will result in horrible hopping and an extremely unpleasant and ineffective experience.

4" pads have way too much overlap on these smaller backing plates and I don't know of any flexible rotary plates that are closer to 4".

What to do?

Kaban
12-14-2012, 12:50 AM
i cut mine down from 4" to 3 and used them on these flexible backing plates and it works like a dream. I don't want to keep cutting them down because it seems like a waste.

Setec Astronomy
12-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Griot's Garage 3 Inch Glass Polishing Pads, Glass Polishing Discs, Remove scratches from glass, polish water spots (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-glass-polish-pads-3.html)

swanicyouth
12-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Get the 3" CarPro Glass pads from CarPro USA.

Setec Astronomy
12-14-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't know about the CarPro pads, but the Griot's are way softer and more flexible than the LC ones I have, plus it's easy to tell which side is the velcro :p

Kaban
12-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Get the 3" CarPro Glass pads from CarPro USA.

Are they very hard and meant for cutting like the LC ones?

I don't know about the CarPro pads, but the Griot's are way softer and more flexible than the LC ones I have, plus it's easy to tell which side is the velcro :p

Thanks, yeah when I ordered the pads, I ordered a pack of the LC ones and a pack of the Griot's ones.

Like you mentioned, the Griots are MUCH softer than the LC. Initially, I started with the Griot's, but they are not nearly aggressive enough to remove the defects I was working with. The LC pads cut down to 3" were much more effective at removing the defects. Griot's is more of a polishing pad and not for cutting through medium scratches.

Setec Astronomy
12-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Like you mentioned, the Griots are MUCH softer than the LC. Initially, I started with the Griot's, but they are not nearly aggressive enough to remove the defects I was working with. The LC pads cut down to 3" were much more effective at removing the defects. Griot's is more of a polishing pad and not for cutting through medium scratches.

I haven't used mine yet, I got the 3" Griot's for my...er...3" Griot's...figured it might be good for tight areas where I don't want to go in with the big pad on the rotary. I guess "not nearly aggressive enough" and Griot's 3" spells waste-of-time.

Kaban
12-17-2012, 01:35 AM
I haven't used mine yet, I got the 3" Griot's for my...er...3" Griot's...figured it might be good for tight areas where I don't want to go in with the big pad on the rotary. I guess "not nearly aggressive enough" and Griot's 3" spells waste-of-time.

In all fairness, the glass foglights I was correcting were made of some sort of anti-shatter super hardened glass.. which is alot harder than ordinary glass used on windshields, etc. But for my application the GG 3" pads were almost not doing anything at all in terms of defect removal. Maybe they have more cut on regular glass, but I haven't tried it yet. Will try soon on some nasty wiper trails I've been wanting to take care of.