PDA

View Full Version : What is your secret weapon

Pages : [1] 2 3

statusdetailing
12-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Out of all the tools and products in your detailing arsenal, what is your #1 secret weapon?

My secret weapon is enamel reducer. If I come across some weird tar, melted plastic, mystery substance, etc that is impossible to remove with "safer" products, enamel reducer will do it. It has never failed me. It will remove trim and body molding adhesive better than anything.

Enamel reducer will also remove horrible melted plastic, tar-like substances, glue, etc out of carpet--no problem! I suggest using an extractor to remove any residual enamel reducer, as it would be crazy to leave it in the carpet. I have never damaged carpet with this product.

I normally do not have to polish the paint after using this product, but a couple times it left a very light haze on the paint that needed to be lightly polished out.

That's my secret weapon! I can't wait to hear some more from everybody else!

Cosmin
12-13-2012, 07:46 PM
visual memory :)) , is that count?

rustytruck
12-13-2012, 07:47 PM
My secret weapon is my helper. Anything I don't feel like doing he takes care of.

AeroCleanse
12-13-2012, 07:47 PM
GTechniq C1

Johny B
12-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Patience.

Jsmooth
12-13-2012, 07:57 PM
My secret weapon is my helper. Anything I don't feel like doing he takes care of.
LOLOLOL I have an army of helpers that why I opened a shop and don't do mobile. Interior detailing kills my soul, seriously....

statusdetailing
12-13-2012, 09:51 PM
LOLOLOL I have an army of helpers that why I opened a shop and don't do mobile. Interior detailing kills my soul, seriously....

:laughing::laughing: I hear you there, man! I felt like I was cleaning up a crime scene in a Prius today. God, I don't know how people do such awful, horrible, atrocities to their cars.

Fishincricket
12-13-2012, 10:44 PM
:laughing::laughing: I hear you there, man! I felt like I was cleaning up a crime scene in a Prius today. God, I don't know how people do such awful, horrible, atrocities to their cars.

Good grief, tell me about it! lol

Some of the trades I take are just ruined!!
Family Guy: No, She'd ruin it! - YouTube (http://youtu.be/JSRJVL5GR4A)

RedXray
12-13-2012, 11:09 PM
enamel reducer.

+1

Being a painter I've known just how valuable having a gallon of enamel reducer on the shelf is. Like you said it dose great for removing adhesives. Back in the 70's when a lot of cars had dried and cracked vinyl tops they would come in the shop for an all over paint job. After stripping off the vinyl you had this thick hard adhesive bonded to the roof. In order to remove it, I'd lay shop rags saturated with enamel reduce on the top for a couple hours to loosen the glue before it could be scraped off... only thing that would work!

john b
12-13-2012, 11:35 PM
chuck norris

CustomLookz
12-13-2012, 11:44 PM
I keep jackie chan in a suitcase and let him out every time I need a detail

cardaddy
12-13-2012, 11:55 PM
+1

Being a painter ... Back in the 70's ... vinyl tops ... all over paint job. ... shop rags saturated ... only thing that would work!

WARNING :offtopic:Being as you mentioned the 70's...
Do you remember *fake* vinyl tops? The local PD chief lived across the street, and, they were seriously into hotrod cars, like not just chasing them, but they had a LOT of um', all big blocks including a dual quad 429 Torino, 351 Mustang and a pair of Dodge/Plymouth's one HEMI the other a 2Dr Fury 440 in gray metallic, unmarked of course.

The little speed trap was quite an enterprise. With just over a mile of city limit on I-75, the speed limit being 70 at the time, NO RADAR only a stopwatch, and they'd catch everyone they ever wanted to stop. Ya' shoulda' seen the expressway ramp that they came down!!! Looked like a drag strip with all the rubber on it. :)

It was bad enough that the newly elected governer (Lester Maddox) had a hit list out for them as the #1 speed trap in the state.

Any-who.... My dad bought the Pllymouth 440 from the chief and had it painted black with a FAKE white vinyl top! It was complete with bands that ran front to back to simulate the seams (I'm guessing). From a distance you thought it might be real, but up close it was a sprayed substance almost like shooting fiberglass into a boat hull. Weirdest thing I had ever seen and come to think of it, still is. LOL

You may now rejoin the thread previously in progress..........

statusdetailing
12-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Chuck Norris eats enamel reducer for breakfast.

UltimateDetail
12-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Brake fluid. Paint thinner. cyanide. botulinum. 7.62×51mm NATO. grenades. nukes. The synchrotron. AC-130.

:D

RedXray
12-14-2012, 12:58 AM
but up close it was a sprayed substance almost like shooting fiberglass into a boat hull. Weirdest thing I had ever seen and come to think of it, still is. LOL

Can't say I remember any fake vinyl tops but that glue has that cobweb stringy pattern. I wonder if the vinyl was pulled off and the top sprayed without removing the glue. I bought an 85 Crown Vic owned by a little old lady (21,000 miles) that a tree had fallen on. It smashed 3/4's of the front end, windshield and ripped the full vinyl top. My plan of action was to replace the R fender, hood, windshield, strip the vinyl top and re-spray the whole car. After the vinyl was removed it had a fiberglass shell from the windshield to the rear glass and sail panels... riveted on all around the roof ###!?

I drilled out the rivets, removed the shell and was shocked to see the roof seam wasn't leaded or filled in anyway! So back on with the fiberglass shell and sent the car to my upholstery guy. In the glove box was the window sticker and the "full" vinyl top option for that car in 85 was $900 :eek: I'll bet most of that cost was that full fiberglass shell. Sprayed it in a Gold Metallic BASF Dimont BC/CC and gave it to my son for graduation. That was one sweet riding low millage car! He called it his "Pimp Mobile" lol

June 1999

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv123/Redxray1/kelly.jpg

Back to topic

My secret weapon is a devastating RIGHT CROSS :D