PDA

View Full Version : Boat Detailing?

Dave Medvic
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Ok, I have a friend who owns a boat and pays a detailer $22.00/FT. to detail his boat each year. His thoughts are that the real money would be in detailing boats as there are large boats at his Marina. I've never done one yet, but plan to move up to the Flex 3401C over the off season as I would think that could handle the oxidation buffing he describes. Anyone have any experience here? Can a DA Buffer with the proper compounds handle boat oxidation or would I need a true direct drive buffer? There are many detailers in the Philadelphia area that swear by "Ardex" and pefer Ardex for their high end or difficult work.
Feed back please

Dr_Pain
12-13-2012, 01:04 PM
I would also be interested in some info on the subject. I would hope that since Mike is in Florida (with all those coastline) that he would chime in with some expert advises and some How to's.

I would love to understand the:

1) Wash
2) Decontamination (calcium, salt, algea etc...)
3) Sealant
4) Waxing process

A "boats for dummies" if you will, with products to use (fresh vs. salt water)

..... and if it is not too much to ask, I would love to hear some feedback as far as "price point" is concerned.

Sailfish
12-13-2012, 01:27 PM
For working on a boat you really need a rotary polisher to cut the oxidized gel coat or you will be on some boats forever. Now a forced rotation DA such as the 3401 is great for knocking out the rotary induced swirls. I have not used Ardex so I cannot speak towards that line, I use Collinite, Shurhold and BioClean products. You can get the Shurhold and Collinite here at AG and they are environmentally save. Shurhold also does not uses talc in the buffing compound which helps reduce dust when working with gelcoat, as if there is not enough dust already. At $22.00 a foot he is doing more then a simple detail, more then likely a compounding and wax /sealant on the boat. I personally do not just wax, gelcoat is to porous letting air and water get trapped in the gelcoat thus starting oxidation all over again. Polymer sealants flow into the pores and displace the air and moisture, then I would use a wax like Collinite 870 or 925. jm2c.

BTW boat detailing is rough work, I personally would much rather do a car, truck or bus over a boat.

Sailfish
12-13-2012, 01:32 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/boat-rv-detailing/41033-boat-rv-newsletter.html

Dr_Pain
12-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks a lot Sailfish.

Living on the Gulf Coast, I thought it would be a nice diversification of service. I too would rather a car, a truck or an SUV. I guess I can always educate myself and see if this could fit my little business venture. Im the MAN

Dr_Pain
12-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Hey Sailfish,

If you don't mind sharing, can you break down what would be a reasonable cost bases for each level of detailing?

glen e
12-13-2012, 02:59 PM
agreed - owned and detailed boat for years....a few articles here I wrote - nothing works on gelcoat better than a rotary and wood/hybrid pads...nothing....a random, even a 3401, won't do as well....

AeroCleanse
12-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I think Mike did a couple of videos on boat detailing, check the youtubes

Sailfish
12-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Dr Pain, That is a hard question as I tell people when they ask me how much to do their boat. I first have to look at the job at hand and then find out the customers expectations. I also have to look at the size and type of vessel. Flying bridge, tune tower, outriggers, teak, stainless, aluminum. I have a wash price per ft that depends on the length and type of vessel, I have polishing pricing, compounding pricing for both light and heavy oxidation and a sanding price all based on length and type of boat. A flats boat is quick and 43ft Maverick is a lot more per ft. Also the gulf coast prices tend to be more the the Atlantic Prices as I have seen. If someone calls me and asks what a wash cost I tell them $5.00 for the wash from the rub rail up on a 45 and below. I tell them is just a quick swing and "If They" want me to look at the boat and go over what they want done the price may go down depending on their expectations. Pricing is the hardest part to this all, you don't want to be the cheap guy but also you need to cover cost on product, time and distance. Call around to detailers in your area and see what pricing is going for, I do wash boats for $2 a ft if I am hitting them on a weekly to biweekly bases. This is a wash, rinse, wipe and go. 25 footer in less then an hour and hopefully I have 2 or 3 in the marina to do on that trip, then off to the next stop. Scheduling is the bear, everyone wants a clean boat on the weekend. Good luck.

BigBrad
12-13-2012, 05:44 PM
That really shows you the difference in where your at.. I charge no less than $10.00 a ft to wash, that also includes the inside as well.. Up to $15 a ft to buff..

Dr_Pain
12-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the reply Sailfish. Here is the kicker.... after reading your reply I did a little research and made a few phone calls and other than the hacks, there is nobody in the area that claim to do high end detailing. This is weird considering the close proximity to the Gulf but I guess everyone does there little maintenance thing and are happy with the current crappy results. So this would be a niche market! I can do the research and can easily have a couple of test subjects to get my feet wet. I believe the car detailing skills can carry over to boat detailing.

The problem I have now is I would not even know where to start in pricing jobs, if I were to start marketing! I know it is tough to really set a price on work sight unseen but send me a PM with a couple of scenarios and prices and I will see if it is something that the market can bear, or something I want to waste time on.

Dave Medvic
12-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I looked at that video you attached Sailfish, Mike was demo'd the DA buffers but they described the boat as in pretty good shape. I think that I will end up doing what doc pain is doing and see if I can get a test subject at some time to gain the experience, but when I get the money i should invest in a direct drive buffer.It sounds like once you gain the trust of some boaters in the Philly Marina's, the word of mouth will send work your way. I have to study up too.

MikeN
02-24-2013, 04:04 PM
subscribed

:buffing: