PDA

View Full Version : Reapply paint protection after bird droppings?

cpmatthew
12-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Freakin' birds! Half my roof was covered in bird crap when I left work today. When I got home a sprayed with some QD, let it soak for a minutes and then wiped it off with a wash mitt and ONR.

My question is, should I reapply paint protection? I clayed, polished, sealed and waxed about 3 weeks ago and reapplied wax Friday.

Thanks.

BobbyG
12-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Hey Chris,

Bird crap is very acidic and will quickly eat that sacrificial barrier you applied. I'm glad you got it off quickly but after a wash and rinse I'd apply some spray sealant or spray wax...Even a paste wax would be good! :props:

Rsurfer
12-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Don't park under trees.

Dr_Pain
12-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Even better, don't go to work and keep the car in the garage. I was told this morning that the government will be sending you a check Im the MAN

FUNX650
12-12-2012, 06:08 PM
To put yourself more at ease (anxiety can lead to insomnia)...
I say: "Apply some more wax to the roof of your vehicle".

:)

Bob

BobbyG
12-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Will you look at all this awesome advise!! :props:

cpmatthew
12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks All. I would leave it in the garage, but it seems silly to keep all those horses pinned up when they want so badly to run.

Taking your advice, I put a coat of wax on the affected panels. I'll need to get some polymer spray, as I don't have any. Thanks again.

Unrelated: Do I need to change my name to Bob if I am going to be part of the Corvette club?

ScottB
12-12-2012, 07:24 PM
safe bet ... reapply !

RMM
12-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Hey Chris,

Bird crap is very acidic and will quickly eat that sacrificial barrier you applied. I'm glad you got it off quickly but after a wash and rinse I'd apply some spray sealant or spray wax...Even a paste wax would be good! :props:

:iagree:

Even if what you used to remove the poo didn't affect the surrounding LSP, the part directly under it was "eaten away" because of the acidic nature of the "bomb". So, you'd better reapply.

oldmodman
12-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Hey Chris,

This.

You are lucky that it didn't happen while you were gone on a trip. I saw a car that had to have the roof re-cleared after being bombed. And the bombs were on there for a week.
Even though it had been waxed with MaxWax three weeks earlier it ate through the wax and most of the clear.

Evan.J
12-12-2012, 11:20 PM
I hate bird droppings. Seems like they are an endless battle. Like others have said its very acidic and will go right through your current protection. Throw some more wax or sealant on there.

imranhakro
12-13-2012, 12:13 AM
My question is, should I reapply paint protection? I clayed, polished, sealed and waxed about 3 weeks ago and reapplied wax Friday.

Thanks.

Taking your advice, I put a coat of wax on the affected panels. I'll need to get some polymer spray, as I don't have any. Thanks again.

My advice is to apply Cleaner wax. This will clean the slight etching into the clear which might have appeared, but may not be visible to the naked eye easily, and also providing the protection.

c5errr
12-13-2012, 05:52 AM
bird droppings and water etching will reduce the protection

now water etching will first eat the protection then if it was left off it will eat up the clear coat

but when they removed fast enought like 1 day or 2 they wont harm the clear coat but the protection will be gone

so make sure u apply another coat of wax on effected area

long time ago it rained on the front of my car and when i rinsed the car to wash it the place it had rained on had no beading ! and the rest of the car had beading

but if your car is protected then it will be easy to remove bird droppings and water spots