PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Hyper Polishing MF System

camaro2ssblack
12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I am in the process of my annual paint correction on my garage queen and have a question about levels of aggressiveness with this system. I am using the PC7424XP with the 5.25" mf pads. I am working on speed 4.5. My defects are minimal but some of them cannot be removed with the polish and polishing pad alone. I was wondering what you guys would recommmend being my next step for those areas...

1) Step up to the compound and compounding pad and then follow with the polish and polishing pad (I have verified this works with 4-6 section passes of each product).
2) Stay with the polish but step up to the compounding pad (I have not tried this yet).

If I go with step 2, do you think it will be necessary to step back down to the polishing pad?

Maybe some of you with experience using this system have a few tricks you could share as well. I love the results so far, my sprayers are working great and there is literally no dusting...

Mike Phillips
12-12-2012, 02:58 PM
I was wondering what you guys would recommend being my next step for those areas...

1) Step up to the compound and compounding pad and then follow with the polish and polishing pad (I have verified this works with 4-6 section passes of each product).

Yes.

2) Stay with the polish but step up to the compounding pad (I have not tried this yet).

If I go with step 2, do you think it will be necessary to step back down to the polishing pad?

The liquid will be a bigger factor than the material. Go with option 1.

Maybe some of you with experience using this system have a few tricks you could share as well. I love the results so far, my sprayers are working great and there is literally no dusting...

Best thing you can do with MF pads is to clean them as well as you can however you can after each section pass.

Let see some pictures!

:Picture:

camaro2ssblack
12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Yes.

The liquid will be a bigger factor than the material. Go with option 1.

Best thing you can do with MF pads is to clean them as well as you can however you can after each section pass.

Let see some pictures!

Thanks Mike, your the man! I will post pictures when I get finished. I was cleaning the pads after each polishing pass (4-6 section passes) with a pad brush. Are you saying I need to do that after each section pass? That seems like it would be fairly time consuming. Do you just brush and continue or do you have to add a little polish for the next section pass?

camaro2ssblack
12-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Got it done. I cant say enough about this product, definitely will be my go-to polish from now on. So easy to use and very effective. I will try to take some pictures this weekend and post them.

Mike Phillips
12-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks Mike, your the man! I will post pictures when I get finished. I was cleaning the pads after each polishing pass (4-6 section passes) with a pad brush.

Are you saying I need to do that after each section pass?

Well in a PERFECT world you could clean your pad after every section of paint you buff out because you want to remove the spent product and removed paint so you don't grind this gunk into the next section of paint. It's not really my opinion on this topic it's just how it goes. You buff on paint and you're doing something, the something you're doing is removing defects and the end results is great looking paint but also residues on the face of your buffing pad.

That seems like it would be fairly time consuming.

Exactly!

"Yes" cleaning the face of the buffing pad you're using after each section pass is time consuming. That's why each person can decide how often they want to clean their pad.

Try to balance,

Getting the job done in a timely manner
Working clean
Working effectively

Do you just brush and continue or do you have to add a little polish for the next section pass?

You "want" to add fresh product after you clean your pad and move onto a new section of paint. Fresh product will cut and buff better and easier than trying to eeek out every last little bit of cutting ability out of previously used product caked-up on the face of your pad.

Got it done. I cant say enough about this product, definitely will be my go-to polish from now on. So easy to use and very effective.

I will try to take some pictures this weekend and post them.

Congratulations and looking forward to your pictures...

mjlinane
12-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Reminds me of the story of the old & young lumberjacks:

"A young lumberjack challenged an older co-worker to a contest. Each of them wanted to see which man could fell the most trees in a single day. By sundown, it was obvious that the older lumberjack had won – - hands down. The younger fellow couldn’t figure it out. He had chopped non-stop all day, while the older lumberjack had stopped every hour. When asked, the older man explained, “Every time I sat down, I was sharpening my axe.” The young man who was too busy cutting down trees to stop and sharpen his axe lost the contest."

I brush out my MF pads everytime I lift them from the paint and blow them out with the compressor after every panel. Amazing how much faster I got.

willtothewong
12-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Reminds me of the story of the old & young lumberjacks:

"A young lumberjack challenged an older co-worker to a contest. Each of them wanted to see which man could fell the most trees in a single day. By sundown, it was obvious that the older lumberjack had won – - hands down. The younger fellow couldn’t figure it out. He had chopped non-stop all day, while the older lumberjack had stopped every hour. When asked, the older man explained, “Every time I sat down, I was sharpening my axe.” The young man who was too busy cutting down trees to stop and sharpen his axe lost the contest."

I brush out my MF pads everytime I lift them from the paint and blow them out with the compressor after every panel. Amazing how much faster I got.

nice story and great advice!

I soon too will be doing some correction for the winter and this all helps me avoid making mistakes