PDA

View Full Version : Using Rinseless / ONR in Cold Weather

swanicyouth
12-12-2012, 10:18 AM
A few days ago a did an ONR wash in cold weather (about 50 degrees) the problem was, the stuff just didn't want to dry as it always does. Has anyone noticed this? Is it product dependent?

Ryry11
12-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Hmmm , that's weird. I did an ONR wash a couple days ago too, and I did mine outside in 35 degree weather with no issues. Plus I usually add a hair more of ONR to my mixture just for good measure. My car was pretty dirty, so in this case I needed it. I've found that when I use ONR it takes a little more buffing on my final wipe to remove all the residue. I had that problem in the beginning but have learned from it and comes out fine now.

honda.crz.nsbp
12-12-2012, 10:29 AM
I've used ONR in 40 degree temps before. In my experience, it does take a few minutes longer to dry, but it's never been a problem. I find that a good quality MF drying towel and the use of blotting helps to avoid any issues.

RZJZA80
12-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah I've noticed the same, both on cold days and very humid, hot days. You have to really wipe with new MF towels often in those types of situations.

Y2KSVT
12-12-2012, 10:33 AM
I think most liquid products are somewhat temperature dependant. With glass cleaning, I find that I have to buff longer in colder temps than I do in the warmer weather where the glass cleaner flashes quickly. I do everything inside of my garage, though. While it isn't heated, it does stay at a comfortable temperature. Are you using warm water with your rinseless washes? Try that out and maybe limit the amount of panels you clean at one time so you're drying the panels while the water is still somewhat warm. This may help.

DaHen
12-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Find that I havta use one or two extra microfiber towels in this colder (not freezing) weather.

Chris's FX4
12-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I've found that doing an initial wipe with a slighly damp MF and then blotting works well for me in cold weather. I add a little more ONR than normal too.

dpk20x
12-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Hmmm I noticed the same thing a few days ago but only on the lower panels. I was getting worried that my LSP had worn off already.

BillyJack
12-12-2012, 02:28 PM
I've found that doing an initial wipe with a slighly damp MF and then blotting works well for me in cold weather. I add a little more ONR than normal too.

I do all my rinseless washes with two mf cloths. The first one is my "washer" to pick up the dirt. The second is strictly a "wiper". When I remove it from the bucket, I wring it as dry as possible, then use it to mop up as much solution as possible. Depending on ambient temp and the amount of sun, I'll work a few panels ahead before the final dry.
Also, as much as I like ONR, DG Rinseless seems to me to be more user-friendly in colder temps. As much as I like ONR, the DG is my go-to for the winter.

Bill

Chris Thomas
12-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Always make two drying passes with two different drying towels. You may not need to while the suns helping to dry, but its normal otherwise.