PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Opti-Guard/Coat

WRXINXS
12-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Once I have my Opti-Guard applied, any tips to maintain it? From what I have read it only needs to be washed and that I can apply spray detailers/waxes if I want to enhance the gloss.

What about claying? I heard you can clay but that it might not really be necessary because Opti-Guard releases contaminents so easily? If I need to clay what grade clay should I use and do I still need to watch out for marring while claying just like my factory clear coat?

Thanks,
Drew

arack
12-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Once I have my Opti-Guard applied, any tips to maintain it? From what I have read it only needs to be washed and that I can apply spray detailers/waxes if I want to enhance the gloss.

What about claying? I heard you can clay but that it might not really be necessary because Opti-Guard releases contaminents so easily? If I need to clay what grade clay should I use and do I still need to watch out for marring while claying just like my factory clear coat?

Thanks,
Drew I have OC 2.0 on my Acura for 18 months. You can use a spray wax if you want. It works out ok, but is not really needed. Some people use ReLoad and really like it, too.

You will still need to clay at least twice a year. I used the Pinnacle clay and had no issues. you still have to watch for marring, but the claying was easy.

RaskyR1
12-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Your car will still accumulate bonded contaminants over time. I would suggest using IronX and TarX or even TRIX to remove them prior to claying. That should lessen the chance of marring and you may even find claying unnecessary after a chemical decon. Regular washing should keep them to a minimum though. No topping is needed but you can if you wish. Just know the surface will take on the attributes of the topper while it's there (...more dust attraction).

I like Permanon Platinum as a topper but it's expensive and doesn't last real long.

WRXINXS
12-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Your car will still accumulate bonded contaminants over time. I would suggest using IronX and TarX or even TRIX to remove them prior to claying. That should lessen the chance of marring and you may even find claying unnecessary after a chemical decon. Regular washing should keep them to a minimum though. No topping is needed but you can if you wish. Just know the surface will take on the attributes of the topper while it's there (...more dust attraction).

I like Permanon Platinum as a topper but it's expensive and doesn't last real long.

IronX/TarX and Trix would not remove the Opti-Coat?

RaskyR1
12-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Nope! It's chemical resistant and the only way it's coming off is with sanding or polishing. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richy
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Obviously much less so in the Winters up North, but ONR is my preferred way (or the DG one) to clean it. I follow that up usually wiht UWW for sick slickness.

ihaveacamaro
12-11-2012, 04:13 PM

Thanks,
Drew

Maintenance: Rinseless wash with Carnauba (Pinnacle or Optimum or Blackfire)

Claying is fine, I've done it with my OCd car. I would use fine grade, as that is all that would be necessary. No use being more aggressive than necessary. Fine grade shouldn't mar your car at all