PDA

View Full Version : Clay

Don Porter
12-11-2012, 11:51 AM
I've been using Griot's Garage clay for several years. I just watched Mike remove paint overspray from a brand new Honda using DP. Not sure if Griot's would have removed that. Is there a big difference in quality clays? I've had good success with Griot's on normal fallout but when it came to heavy tar and such, I usually switch to a degreaser.

Tvanpool
12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I've been using Griot's Garage clay for several years. I just watched Mike remove paint overspray from a brand new Honda using DP. Not sure if Griot's would have removed that. Is there a big difference in quality clays? I've had good success with Griot's on normal fallout but when it came to heavy tar and such, I usually switch to a degreaser.

My wife sprayed polyurethane on some piece of furniture in the garage and the overspray settled all over her Explorer. When I found it the paint felt like sandpaper. I was able to successfully remove it with Mothers clay. So I would think it would depend on what kind of overspray you have and how dry the overspray was when it settled on your car.
I have removed Highway Stripping paint before with lacqure thinner on a newer car with a clear top coat with no apparant damage but test first in a hidden area to see what effect it will have.

Andr3wilson
12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Clay bars and qualities vary greatly from Fine-Aggressive.
To show you the varrieties, take a look at the Chemical Guys Clay (http://www.chemicalguys.com/clay_barwhat_is_Clay_Bar_For_Paint_Reconditioning_ s/7.htm)

Now the average run of the mill clay bar you get in a megs, Mothers, or equivalent kit is going to be on the fine to mild side. Heavy aggressive clays can quickly mar paint if used incorrectly.

I have not had experience with DP clay, but I am going to guess its abrasion level is close to, if not the same Pinnacle, Wolfgang and the rest of the lot.

Now as far as clay quality goes, that can vary a lot. I have heard stories of cheap clays crumble and falling apart on the body. High quality clays such as Riccardos (http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/riccardo-clay-blue-p-241.html) is more expensive (per weight) but a little nicer to work with.

Personally I have all 3 CG clays, some jobs (like showroom cars) only need the Fine clays. Some jobs (like cars that have never been detailed in their 5 year life) need the aggressive Clay.

Overall with overspray removal 99.99% of clays will remove it, some just faster then others

hope this helps :)