PDA

View Full Version : Either or??

Supergus1
12-10-2012, 08:38 PM
I clay my vehicle about 3-4 times a year. after each claying, I polish and then wax, However I understand that sealant is more durable and longer lasting, a plus since I'm in Maine. Can I put wax over the sealant for extra shine and protection or should I use polish in the fall to get through the winter and wax during warm weather?

waderw24
12-10-2012, 08:48 PM
you could add a sealant in between the polish and wax steps if you wanted too or you could just replace the wax step with a sealant and do that as well. The sealant will last you longer than the wax typically will.

AutowerxDetailing
12-10-2012, 08:59 PM
I clay my vehicle about 3-4 times a year. after each claying, I polish and then wax, However I understand that sealant is more durable and longer lasting, a plus since I'm in Maine.

True. A high quality sealant will tend to outlast your typical natural carnauba wax. Hybrid waxes such as Collinite 845 give you the best of both worlds: long lasting weather protection and a wet look shine.

Can I put wax over the sealant for extra shine and protection or should I use polish in the fall to get through the winter and wax during warm weather?

Yes, you can layer wax on top of already cured sealant. Whether it will actually do anything to the look or durability is subjective. I recommend doing a test spot. Perhaps layer one panel so you can monitor how it performs in sun (shine/gloss), rain, snow, etc. and decide if it is worth it to layer the rest of the car.

Regarding your polishing step... Do you mean polish with an all-in-one (AIO) type product? They way you phrase it has me confused. If you are using straight polish, that leaves no protection, you will want to use a wax or sealant. If you are using a quality AIO type polish than you will probably be fine with the frequency of how often you polish your vehicle.

Supergus1
12-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Nicholas,
To clarify, I am only using the polish take care of some fine swirls, not for paint protection.
Then I'd be using either a sealant or wax for protection. From your reply I think I can count on good year round protection by using a sealant in early winter to get me through till spring, and then wax during the Spring thru Fall. :xyxthumbs: