PDA

View Full Version : How to clean MF pads?

ihaveacamaro
12-10-2012, 07:38 PM
So I used the OPT MF pads yesterday and they were awesome! I fluffed it up between panels and all that jazz.

But now I have blue MF pads from the compound. I have tried cleaning it all to no avail.

This is what I have done:
1) sprayed with OPC and tried to wash it out.
2) Sprayed with OPC and used the Grit Guard Universal Pad washer.
3) Washed in the sink with soap.

It's still blue! What do I do? Or is my pad permanently blue now?

primo spaghetti
12-10-2012, 07:54 PM
i cleaned mine with Zep purple 4:1...but only let them dwell in a shallow pan for a couple of minutes...that stuff is strong...

it took hyper compound and hyper polish outta my optimum MF pads.

then i rinsed them and tossed them in the wash with tide zero and some other MF towels...

AutowerxDetailing
12-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Polish something with a white colored compound or polish... They will turn white again. :props:

psnt1ol
12-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Snappy clean normally does it for me. mix one package in a bucket of water and let the pads sit in it overnight. Throw them in the washer with some detergent ( i use Micro-Restore) or rinse them out next morning.

ihaveacamaro
12-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Snappy clean normally does it for me. mix one package in a bucket of water and let the pads sit in it overnight. Throw them in the washer with some detergent ( i use Micro-Restore) or rinse them out next morning.

I can clean normal foam pads no problem with my pad washer. I just can't seem to get the MF pads clean.

psnt1ol
12-10-2012, 09:26 PM
I can clean normal foam pads no problem with my pad washer. I just can't seem to get the MF pads clean.

that is odd.... i have both Opt MF cutting pads and polishing pads. I seemed to get everything off from SIP, CG BlackLight, to D300. That's Blue, Purple, to Pink. :dunno:

BTW.... looking forward to your next video.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-10-2012, 10:31 PM
ALL optimum polishes stain pads. It's annoying.

camaro2ssblack
12-10-2012, 10:38 PM
I washed mine in the washer just like a towel and still had some staining. Will it hurt anything? I think not.

Setec Astronomy
12-10-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't think the dye from the polish is going to make much difference, as long as the dirt, spent paint, and spent polish came out.

Darvetis
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Don't know for sure if it will work with pads, but the only thing that would remove the stains from my microfiber cloths was oxi-clean.

ihaveacamaro
12-11-2012, 11:21 AM
that is odd.... i have both Opt MF cutting pads and polishing pads. I seemed to get everything off from SIP, CG BlackLight, to D300. That's Blue, Purple, to Pink. :dunno:

BTW.... looking forward to your next video.

Hmm, maybe it's just the optimum polish then? Weird, as I was able to get the optimum polish completely out of the foam pads though!

And thanks :) Appreciate the support!

ALL optimum polishes stain pads. It's annoying.

I washed mine in the washer just like a towel and still had some staining. Will it hurt anything? I think not.

I don't think the dye from the polish is going to make much difference, as long as the dirt, spent paint, and spent polish came out.

I guess I will just live with it lol.

Don't know for sure if it will work with pads, but the only thing that would remove the stains from my microfiber cloths was oxi-clean.

Or maybe I'll try this. Do you put oxi clean in a bucket and then just soak the pads in there?

camaro2ssblack
12-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Will scrubbing the pad with APC hurt the microfiber? I may try this as a pretreatment to machine washing next time...thats the way I clean all my foam pads with great results.

Darvetis
12-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Hmm, maybe it's just the optimum polish then? Weird, as I was able to get the optimum polish completely out of the foam pads though!

And thanks :) Appreciate the support!

I guess I will just live with it lol.

Or maybe I'll try this. Do you put oxi clean in a bucket and then just soak the pads in there?

Exactly, I mixed a scoopful of oxi clean with a few gallons of hot water in bucket, and let it soak a few hours.

ihaveacamaro
12-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Will scrubbing the pad with APC hurt the microfiber? I may try this as a pretreatment to machine washing next time...thats the way I clean all my foam pads with great results.

heck, I used the MF pads in the pad washer. If the pads are going to be damaged by scrubbing, that would've been the first thing I learned ;)

So no, I seriously doubt your scrubbing will be more abrasive to the MF pad then running it against a grit guard with a GG 5".:xyxthumbs: