PDA

View Full Version : clay block over traditional clay bar?

Pages : [1] 2

jjj
12-10-2012, 02:20 PM
i have use clay bars for a long time now. I am really curious abot the clay blocks. I have a few concerns. do they marr? do they really last several cars rather than one or two.? Do you have to wash after use? Bottom line is are they really better than the traditional method? what brand do you use?

Thanks

jjj
12-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Nothing?

vman
12-10-2012, 07:52 PM
I have no experience with them but from what ive read they do marr. Some have reported no marring with the speedy prep towel while others have, same applies for the ultimas elastrofoam block. Im pretty sure they last more than one or two cars and you should definitely wash it after use just in case anything gets embedded into it.

I was looking into a clay alternative and ultimas elastrofoam caught my eye the most but lots of people reported marring issues so I stuck with my clay bar.

jjj
12-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks vman. The ultima caught my eye too, the other one that got my attention was Cg. Watched their video and was just wanting to reach out here to get the low down.

AeroCleanse
12-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Easier to use than clay, but I prefer the Autoscrub pad as you use a DA to do all the work.

SON1C
12-11-2012, 11:26 AM
I've heard bad things about clay blocks, however autoscrub and similar products to that seem to be catching on, for now ill still stick with my mothers clay as its always worked great and is a little on the softer side so I've never marred paint with it

AeroCleanse
12-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I've heard bad things about clay blocks, however autoscrub and similar products to that seem to be catching on, for now ill still stick with my mothers clay as its always worked great and is a little on the softer side so I've never marred paint with it

Not sure what bad things you have heard, I never had any issue with it.

SON1C
12-11-2012, 12:23 PM
I've just heard they won't work well, mar, idk it's been awhile since I looked into them as the information I came across was bad enough to write them off lol
I'd like to hear more about them

AeroCleanse
12-11-2012, 01:00 PM
I've just heard they won't work well, mar, idk it's been awhile since I looked into them as the information I came across was bad enough to write them off lol
I'd like to hear more about them

Marring comes from not using enough lubricant. They work just fine.

SON1C
12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
So you can lube a rock and it won't mar your paint?
Medium grade speedy towels iirc mar most paint
Heavy clay can mar paint, especially with if its soft paint
That's all with proper lubrication.

AeroCleanse
12-11-2012, 03:19 PM
So you can lube a rock and it won't mar your paint?
Medium grade speedy towels iirc mar most paint
Heavy clay can mar paint, especially with if its soft paint
That's all with proper lubrication.

I'm talking about clay block marring not other products.

SON1C
12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Which block, aren't there different variations?

AeroCleanse
12-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Which block, aren't there different variations?

The one I have is called the Hi Tech Magna Sponge

detz86
12-11-2012, 05:30 PM
I use a block and love it. The one I use is double sided . Fine and medium. Clean it with spray wax and mf and I get a lot of cars our of it at my dealership compared to 3-5 with clay ... Getting 10 or so before it starts to show signs of use

Pj C. senior detailer at Subaru of Moncton.

jjj
12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I use a block and love it. The one I use is double sided . Fine and medium. Clean it with spray wax and mf and I get a lot of cars our of it at my dealership compared to 3-5 with clay ... Getting 10 or so before it starts to show signs of use

Pj C. senior detailer at Subaru of Moncton.

Which one you using?