PDA

View Full Version : how to use the duo-spur?

k20z3kid
04-28-2007, 12:32 AM
im not sure if im using this right, but i may have messed up one of my pads. from what i understand you put the pc on a low speed setting and just hold the duospur still on the pad as it spins. i did that, but now my pads feel more rough as if the duospur kind of chopped away. i tried to catch it in a picture, but i was unsuccessful. has anyone experienced the same? and will i just have to toss this pad out? it just doesnt feel as smooth as my brand new white pad which has not been touched yet. after using the duospur the foam just became more rough.

klumzypinoy
04-28-2007, 02:00 AM
I haven't had any experience with the duo spur. I am wondering how it's supposed to work though. Hopefully someone can help you.

ScottB
04-28-2007, 06:34 AM
this is one to leave to the masses .. never caked a pad enough to need spurs. Maybe Justin or detailers using same pad multiple times daily will chime in shortly.

3Dog
04-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Spur is for wool......cheese grater is for foam. I really dont care for using sharp items on foam.
An old toothbrush would work better IMO.

BimmerFerret
03-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I hate to bump an old thread, but I just got a Duo Spur for "On the Fly" Pad cleaning, and I plan to polish my car this week.

Duo Spur Wool & Foam Pad Cleaning Tool: Scrub dirty pads clean with this multi-pupose cleaning tool! (http://www.autogeek.net/spur100.html)

I only have 6 LC pads (each a different color), and honestly, I don't want to spring another $40-$50 (after ship) for another set unless absolutely necessary.

So I would assume after I complete an entire panel, I would need to use the rollers on the Duo Spur to clean the pad and start the next panel, or would that not be good enough? According to link it should be, but I'd love to get extra input.

Rsurfer
03-29-2011, 01:18 PM
I hate to bump an old thread, but I just got a Duo Spur for "On the Fly" Pad cleaning, and I plan to polish my car this week.

Duo Spur Wool & Foam Pad Cleaning Tool: Scrub dirty pads clean with this multi-pupose cleaning tool! (http://www.autogeek.net/spur100.html)

I only have 6 LC pads (each a different color), and honestly, I don't want to spring another $40-$50 (after ship) for another set unless absolutely necessary.

So I would assume after I complete an entire panel, I would need to use the rollers on the Duo Spur to clean the pad and start the next panel, or would that not be good enough? According to link it should be, but I'd love to get extra input.
The spur is great for wool on a rotary, but for foam I just use a kitchen scrub brush.

Crazy Amos
03-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Spur is for wool pad, it's teeth sink into the wool fibers and break the caked matl up.

A brush, such as a toothbrush will work much better on foam. Use light and gentle pressure and you should be fine.

The way I clean my pad on the fly is, I will rotate my pad on a low setting and clean the spent compound and removed paint with the brush, then switch to a Terry cloth towel to remove the moisture. The brush doesn't really clean "inside" the foam like a towel does, it's more topical. Doing this gets the pad clean both ways.

BimmerFerret
04-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Really? Oh man, I just wasted $20 on one of these things... dang it :(

Thanks for the pointers.

Bates Detailing
04-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Really? Oh man, I just wasted $20 on one of these things... dang it :(

Thanks for the pointers.

Still a great tool man! I use my spur all the time for my wool pads..... usually for larger jobs. Still a good tool :dblthumb2:

Crazy Amos
04-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Still a great tool man! I use my spur all the time for my wool pads..... usually for larger jobs. Still a good tool :dblthumb2:

I agree.

feslope
04-04-2011, 07:59 PM
The op mentioned using the Duospur with his PC. Last I knew the Duospur is a rotary ONLY tool.

5.4 Shelby
04-04-2011, 09:29 PM

You really need more than one of a color. Foam pads typically dont last a whole detail without getting too saturated, even if you clean on the fly often. Depending on size of car, I would have at least 2 orange (prefer 3), 2 white (prefer 3), 1 or 2 gray and 1 red or blue. I also keep 1 yellow for spot compounding.

Crazy Amos
04-04-2011, 09:40 PM
You really need more than one of a color. Foam pads typically dont last a whole detail without getting too saturated, even if you clean on the fly often. Depending on size of car, I would have at least 2 orange (prefer 3), 2 white (prefer 3), 1 or 2 gray and 1 red or blue. I also keep 1 yellow for spot compounding.

:iagree:

Pretty much a must. Especially on a soft single stage. It will make life so much easier.

K1NGGREEN
01-08-2016, 10:48 AM
I BOUGHT 1 JUST FOR S'S & G'S AND I LOVE IT. I USE 3M DOUBLE SIDED WAFFLE PADS AND THEY'RE A BIT TRICKY 2 CLEAN ON THE FLY BECAUSE THEY TEAR IF THE BRUSH IS 2 STIFF, U APPLY 2 MUCH PRESSURE, SPIN 2 FAST, ETC. THE DUO SPUR WORKS BEST WHEN U HAVEN'T COMPLETELY SATURATED A PAD ENOUGH 2 HAVE 2 GIVE IT A THOROUGH WASH BUT CAN'T STAND 2 LEAVE UR PAD DIRTY. I LET THEM SIT FOR A WHILE AFTER FINISHING 2 LET THE COMPOUND/POLISH DRY. THAN JUST GIVE EM A SPIN ON MY ROTARY AND PRESS DOWN WITH THE SPUR WITHOUT THE WORRY OF TEARING UP A VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE PAD (3M IS WORTH EVERY PENNY). IF U USE A PAD CONDITIONER LIKE XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner by Pinnacle For your dual action or rotary polisher. (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt--pad-conditioner.html) U SHOULD HAVE NOW PROBLEM. UNLESS U'LL BE USING SAID PAD WITH A DIFFERENT PRODUCT THAN U'LL DEFINITELY WANNA CLEAN IT THOROUGHLY B4 USING IT. SO 2 MAKE A SHORT STORY LONG HAHA, IF U USE IT, IT'S NOT A WASTE DEFINITELY A HANDY TOOL 2 HAVE. U'LL KNOCK THE DUST OFF DRY PAD IN SECONDS. HAVEN'T HAD THE OPPORTUNITY 2 USE THE LEVELER SO CANT SAY MUCH ON THAT