PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars polishing compound abrasiveness?

Pages : [1] 2

DUDE007
12-10-2012, 02:40 AM
I was wondering how abrasive is Meguiars clear coat safe polishing compound and how effective is it at removing spiderweb swirls? I already have Ultimate Polish in my arsenal so is this worth buying?

mwoolfso
12-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Never used it before but based on what I have read it is a light polish; probably close to Ultimate Polish. The next (more) aggressive product in that particular line would be Ultimate Compound, which I do have.

AutowerxDetailing
12-10-2012, 03:24 AM
It says it is only for use by hand??? If you are wanting to remove swirl marks you will want to use a machine and you will want something like Ultimate Compound & Ultimate Polish or M105/M205 (if you are sticking with the Meg's line). Not saying you can't do it by hand... you most certainly can. It will just take a long, long time.

margallar
12-10-2012, 03:24 AM
never used it,But it will definitely be more abrasive than ultimate polish

DUDE007
12-10-2012, 04:54 AM
Thanks, all.

@Nicholas, you're right but i want to see how good is it with hand....and i have null experience with a machine so i don't want to mess up.

Mike Phillips
12-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks, all.

@Nicholas, you're right but i want to see how good is it with hand....and i have null experience with a machine so i don't want to mess up.

What are you working on and what are you trying to do?

I can't count how many people over the years that have come to the forum or attended one of my classes that had never used a machine to polish their car's paint before and after using a simple, easy to use DA Polisher hasn't said something like,

I should have switched to machine polishing years ago

Using safe tools, products and pads, machine polishing will give you better results faster than trying to work by hand, especially on a clear coat finish.

Check out this article...

It's not that hard... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/55512-s-not-hard.html)

:)

Dave Medvic
12-10-2012, 09:14 AM
@Nicholas, you're right but i want to see how good is it with hand....and i have null experience with a machine so i don't want to mess up.[/QUOTE]

Dude007: I use the Meg's line and especially like their "Ultimate Compound" many times I have not even needed to follow the compound with a lighter polish but it will remove the swirls very easily with a DA buffer. AG has great prices on DA buffers, so consider it, if you look at Mike's videos on the website you'll see how easy it can be with some proper technique and practice.(of course Mike makes everything in the videos look easy!)

jfelbab
12-10-2012, 10:13 AM
FWIW, Mike persuaded me to buy a G100 (PC 7336) back in 1995. To this day, that choice remains in my memory as one of the best detailing decisions I ever made. As Mike said, "It's not that hard." In fact, it made polishing ten times easier and faster than doing it by hand.

Thanks again, Mike. ;)

DUDE007
12-10-2012, 12:36 PM
What are you working on and what are you trying to do?

I can't count how many people over the years that have come to the forum or attended one of my classes that had never used a machine to polish their car's paint before and after using a simple, easy to use DA Polisher hasn't said something like,

I should have switched to machine polishing years ago

Using safe tools, products and pads, machine polishing will give you better results faster than trying to work by hand, especially on a clear coat finish.

Check out this article...

It's not that hard... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/55512-s-not-hard.html)

:)

I'm trying to remove heavy swirls on a '98 Merc with original paint. I'm not sure yet whether its clear coated or a single stage finish......something i'll check tomorrow.

I saw the article and i will definitely try the DA polisher in the near future. :pc7424:

Thanks for the advice, Mike.

DUDE007
12-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Dude007: I use the Meg's line and especially like their "Ultimate Compound" many times I have not even needed to follow the compound with a lighter polish but it will remove the swirls very easily with a DA buffer. AG has great prices on DA buffers, so consider it, if you look at Mike's videos on the website you'll see how easy it can be with some proper technique and practice.(of course Mike makes everything in the videos look easy!)

Thanks, @dmedvic i will consider it. Yeah, i've seen a couple videos.....Mike has a way with detailing. :)

Klasse Act
12-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I have Meg's UC and a GG 6" and it works great and I even bought a bottle of XMT #4 for use on a 95' Merc Grand Marquis but that will have to wait till spring now.

The machine is so easy to use and for the money, can't miss with the GG 6" for sure!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Mike Phillips
12-12-2012, 03:37 PM
FWIW, Mike persuaded me to buy a G100 (PC 7336) back in 1995. To this day, that choice remains in my memory as one of the best detailing decisions I ever made. As Mike said, "It's not that hard." In fact, it made polishing ten times easier and faster than doing it by hand.

Thanks again, Mike. ;)

Geezy Peezy Jim... it's been that long?

Time flies when you're having fun...

:xyxthumbs:

highroller
12-16-2012, 10:38 AM
I was wondering how abrasive is Meguiars clear coat safe polishing compound and how effective is it at removing spiderweb swirls? I already have Ultimate Polish in my arsenal so is this worth buying?

It is not worth buying at all. UC is one of the best compounds u can find easily in pak and works pretty well. As far as abrasiveness is concerned UC has self diminishing (something with SMAT technology) and comes in liquid form so it would work even with hand if u use LC CSS hand applicator.
Last but least if u need a more abrasive product try to source Meguiars #95 but why do extra hassle when UC is there to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DUDE007
12-18-2012, 11:41 AM
It is not worth buying at all. UC is one of the best compounds u can find easily in pak and works pretty well. As far as abrasiveness is concerned UC has self diminishing (something with SMAT technology) and comes in liquid form so it would work even with hand if u use LC CSS hand applicator.
Last but least if u need a more abrasive product try to source Meguiars #95 but why do extra hassle when UC is there to help.

Bad news....i bought it before seeing your post...i guess i had to learn the hard way. I'll see if i can do some good otherwise i'll sell it. The UC here is overpriced! They charge almost double....i'll try to source it from somewhere.

highroller
12-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Bad news....i bought it before seeing your post...i guess i had to learn the hard way. I'll see if i can do some good otherwise i'll sell it. The UC here is overpriced! They charge almost double....i'll try to source it from somewhere.

Experiment with it. Try a test spot.
Apply even pressure and in straight line instead of circular. Do share before and afters.
How much is UC in local mkt? If UC isn't fairly priced I do not expect polishing compound or any other product will be fairly priced as well.