PDA

View Full Version : Teach me about degreasers please

Cheetah
04-27-2007, 08:13 PM
I did a search on this but I couldn't find out exactly what I was looking for. I'm ashamed to say that I don't know much about degreasers. I know what they do basically but still I don't get it. :o
Can someone answer these questions for me please?

1) When should I use a degreaser? Are they too harsh to use every week when washing?

2) Aren't degreasers just a strong cleaner like APC? Is there a difference?

3) I see a lot people spray the lower portions of their car and the wheels with degreasers.
Won't this compromise the wax in those areas?

4) If degreasers don't remove wax then why not just use regular shampoo?

Thanks.

sparkie
04-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't know if this is right, but it's my thoughts.
1) When should I use a degreaser? On grease, oil, or the like.
2) Are they too harsh to use every week when washing? Yes I think so.
3) Aren't degreasers just a strong cleaner like APC? Yes in a way, you have water base and oil base products.
4) I see a lot people spray the lower portions of their car and the wheels with degreasers. Won't this compromise the wax in those areas? Yes, it will remove the wax.
5) If degreasers don't remove wax then why not just use regular shampoo? Degreaser will remove the wax.

supercharged
04-27-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't know if this is right, but it's my thoughts.
1) When should I use a degreaser? On grease, oil, or the like.
2) Are they too harsh to use every week when washing? Yes I think so.
3) Aren't degreasers just a strong cleaner like APC? Yes in a way, you have water base and oil base products.
4) I see a lot people spray the lower portions of their car and the wheels with degreasers. Won't this compromise the wax in those areas? Yes, it will remove the wax.
5) If degreasers don't remove wax then why not just use regular shampoo? Degreaser will remove the wax.

:iagree: :iagree: Degreasers are used on lower portion of vehicles when doing a full detail, or after a car wasn't washed for a month, or a long trip. In other words when there is too much grease on lower part of a vehicle that won't be removed with a car wash shampoo.

RTexasF
04-27-2007, 08:53 PM
As sparkie said it's used to remove grease & oil which is generally in the engine bay and on the engine. It's seldom that it will be needed on the exterior painted surfaces. If so it's almost always the lower sections.

ScottB
04-27-2007, 08:57 PM
I too consider a degreaser to be as strong or stronger than the average APC. I only use it under the hood, and on wheels that have grime in the barrels that I cannot easily get to with brush. (NEVER HOT WHEELS)

D
04-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Yep, I agree with what sparkie said. I only use it on wheels, engine bays, and lower body panels of cars that have caked on dirt, bugs, tar, etc. To be more specific, I use Poorboys Bug Squash on paint and Amazing Roll off in the fender wells and engine bays.

Cheetah
04-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Excellent! Thanks! Finally I get it. :awesome:
Have a good weekend all.

Nica
04-28-2007, 09:53 AM
This is a good topic, I haven't really experimented with the degreaser yet..but soon I'll have the P21S products to play around with.