PDA

View Full Version : Restore Plan for Range Rover Sport and Mercedes E350

pudding1978
12-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Fellow car enthusiasts,

I have put together the plan below for polishing my vehicles back to a showroom shine. I am looking for any and all feedback as to the method below so I don't make any big mistakes. Would you mind critiquing?

1. Hand wash entire vehicle with Dawn using 2-bucket method w/ gritguards and microfiber mitt
2. Isopropyl Alcohol diluted 10:1 wipedown with microfiber cloth
3. Iron X entire paint surface
4. Clay vehicle with Mother’s clay and Showtime detailer
5. Iron X entire paint surface again
6. Wipe down with isopropyl 10:1 again using fresh microfiber cloth
7. Use painter’s tape to seal trim and emblems
8. M205 on CCS Orange pad using FLEX 3401 (polish tight areas by hand or with 3” pad)
9. Inspect with Brinkmann Maxfire light
10. Menzerna 4500 on CCS Pink pad using FLEX 3401
11. Inspect with Brinkmann Maxfire light
12. Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant on CCS White pad using FLEX 3401
13. Wolfgang Fuzion on CCS Gold Jeweling pad using FLEX 3401

Thanks! Feed back please

rider9195
12-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Here are my critiqued steps:
1. Hand wash entire vehicle with Dawn using 2-bucket method w/ gritguards and microfiber mitt
2. Iron X entire paint surface
3. Rinse
6. Wipe down with isopropyl 10:1 using fresh microfiber cloth
8. M205 on CCS Orange pad using FLEX 3401 (polish tight areas by hand or with 3” pad)
10. Menzerna 4500 on CCS Pink(?) pad using FLEX 3401
12. Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant on CCS Black, Blue, or Gold pad using FLEX 3401

I took out the first IPA wipe as it wouldn't be needed. As well as using Iron X twice. In step 10 you mentioned using a pink pad. I would use a black pad for enhance the gloss. Then when applying the Blackfire Wet Diamond, a white pad is for polishing. A black, blue, or gold pad is best for applying a sealant.

pudding1978
12-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks, Rider9195! That saves me some work! I have a black pad that I'll use with the 4500 now. I assume the pink was too rough to finish with? For the BFWD, I'll use the gold jeweling pad. After the BFWD cures, I'll finish up with another gold pad for the Fuzion. I'll update below.

3. Rinse
10. Menzerna 4500 on black pad using FLEX 3401
12. Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant on CCS Gold pad using FLEX 3401

:dblthumb2:

vman
12-10-2012, 12:27 AM
I would take the isopropyl alcohol and do that after youre done with polishing so that nothing is hidden from the brinkmann light.

I dont think its necessary to do an ipa wipedown after claying so this is what I would do:
3. Rinse
10. Menzerna 4500 on black pad using FLEX 3401
12. Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant on CCS Gold pad using FLEX 3401

I havent used menzerna 4500 but im pretty sure you wont see a big difference after polishing with m205. If your plan is to jewel the paint, and assuming all defects will come out with only a polish and no compound, then this seems like a good plan to me.

pudding1978
12-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks, vman! I was hoping to avoid the M105 but it is on standby if necessary. Both cars were polished less than a year ago and protected with wax, but not sealant. I'm going to do a test spot with both M205 and Menzerna 4500 to see if this is enough and which of the two produces better results. If not, I'll use the 105 first.

I think I see where you're coming from with the iso wipedown. After all that polishing, it's best to ensure no product/defects are left on the surface prior to sealing?

vman
12-10-2012, 02:10 AM
I think I see where you're coming from with the iso wipedown. After all that polishing, it's best to ensure no product/defects are left on the surface prior to sealing?

Yes the wipedown is to chemically remove all the oils from the polish that a towel just cannot do. Its like trying to wash a greasy pan with only water and a sponge, you need some type of soap. This will reveal any scratches that are still there that may have been covered up from leftover polish.

Personally, I like to just rewash the car with a lot of soap to get the polish off since there are areas that got tiny bits of polish flung onto it by the DA, like the windshield. I usually will wipedown the paint and forget about everything else then pull out into the sun the next day and see tiny little specks all over the glass.