PDA

View Full Version : swirl removing

keeganjacobs
12-09-2012, 04:58 PM
I am using the The Porter Cable 7424 XP to clean/prep my car ( removing the swirls ) .

I have the 6.5 inch pad on there , using swirl remover product, and Mike Phillips method on removing swirls.

I am at the stage of trying different product to see what works best for me and my question is this ....

1. Do i need to wash my pad after i am done with 1 swirl removing product or can i add the other swirl remover product right on the pad and continue on next section to see the difference between the two swirl removing products .

By the way i am using the orange pad that came with the polisher machine.

2. If i have to clean it , what do i use ?

3. Does the swirl removing product remove my paint ? I am nervous because its a new car 2013 , and the color is black ... i don't want to lose paint but at the same time i don't want swirls .

DaveT435
12-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes you need clean pads to experiment with different products so you know what is doing what. Polishing does remove some paint. I would imagine being a 2013 the scratches or swirls are very light. You want to do your test spot and use the least aggressive process that will remove the scratches. On that new a car as long as you go with the least aggressive process you shouldn't have to worry about removing paint.

What products do you have??

Dave Medvic
12-09-2012, 05:33 PM
1. Do i need to wash my pad after i am done with 1 swirl removing product or can i add the other swirl remover product right on the pad and continue on next section to see the difference between the two swirl removing products .

3. Does the swirl removing product remove my paint ? I am nervous because its a new car 2013 , and the color is black ... i don't want to lose paint but at the same time i don't want swirls . [/QUOTE]

Hey Keegan,
I'll let the other folks on the forum give their input but heres what I'm thinking. My practice is to use seperate pads for different levels of Polish. Mike Phillips has videos on AG showing how to mostly clean a pad on the fly with a towel, but when finished the job, I've used dish detergent and rinsed well. There are varous pad cleaner solutions on the website too along with bucket pad cleaner systems that AG sells for your future work.
The car is a 2013, you are just refining the clearcoat, no paint will be affected.Mike's video's have been helpful in the past and might answer some of your questions.

keeganjacobs
12-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Yes you need clean pads to experiment with different products so you know what is doing what. Polishing does remove some paint. I would imagine being a 2013 the scratches or swirls are very light. You want to do your test spot and use the least aggressive process that will remove the scratches. On that new a car as long as you go with the least aggressive process you shouldn't have to worry about removing paint.

What products do you have??

I am using Swirl x from meguiars , and level 6 speed on the The Porter Cable (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=777942#) 7424 XP polisher machine.

keeganjacobs
12-09-2012, 07:35 PM

3. Does the swirl removing product remove my paint ? I am nervous because its a new car 2013 , and the color is black ... i don't want to lose paint but at the same time i don't want swirls .

Hey Keegan,
I'll let the other folks on the forum give their input but heres what I'm thinking. My practice is to use seperate pads for different levels of Polish. Mike Phillips has videos on AG showing how to mostly clean a pad on the fly with a towel, but when finished the job, I've used dish detergent and rinsed well. There are varous pad cleaner solutions on the website too along with bucket pad cleaner systems that AG sells for your future work.
The car is a 2013, you are just refining the clearcoat, no paint will be affected.Mike's video's have been helpful in the past and might answer some of your questions.[/QUOTE]

looked at his videos but can't find the one with cleaning a pad on the fly .

rider9195
12-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Hey Keegan,
The car is a 2013, you are just refining the clearcoat, no paint will be affected.Mike's video's have been helpful in the past and might answer some of your questions.

looked at his videos but can't find the one with cleaning a pad on the fly .[/QUOTE]

Here you go.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly-when-using-porter-cable-style-da-polisher.html

keeganjacobs
12-09-2012, 09:39 PM
looked at his videos but can't find the one with cleaning a pad on the fly .

Here you go.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly-when-using-porter-cable-style-da-polisher.html[/QUOTE]

Thank You !