PDA

View Full Version : Questions detailing business jets

triplejumper18
12-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I have a client who has a couple of business jets and I have been detailing their cars when they take the jets out. Now they want me to detail the jets when they come back in. The interiors are pretty similar to the interiors of luxury cars, but the exteriors of jets are quite a bit more sensitive than the exteriors of cars. There are sensors and items such as pores on the leading edges of the wings that cannot have any kind of wax or product applied to them. I am going to go over all aspects of the jets with them to find out all the parts I can and cannot touch. For those of you who have experience detailing jets, what kind of products and processes do you recommend and what to avoid or absolutely not use? Thanks!

Porsche Pilot
12-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Definitely familiarize yourself with aircraft systems in general and then focus on the particular jet you will be working on. Paint is paint as some say but aircraft are different animals. For instance, do not degrease the landing gear. You mentioned the holes on the wings. That is part of the de-icing system as you probably know and definitely don't need wax in them. Lots of little things to worry about.

On my personal aircraft and on my clients aircraft, I have tried automotive products with success but, I have recently moved my entire aircraft line to Aero Shell and sealing with Rejex. Aero Shell makes aircraft specific products that I feel safer in using.

Hopefully forum member B&B Tennessee can chime in. He has extensive experience in aircraft care.

Sent via telepathy.

rustytruck
12-09-2012, 09:23 PM
This post is a little scary. I don't think a auto detailing forum is a good place to learn about detailing jets. Sometimes it best to know what you don't know.

Bates Detailing
12-09-2012, 10:27 PM
I have a client who has a couple of business jets and I have been detailing their cars when they take the jets out. Now they want me to detail the jets when they come back in. The interiors are pretty similar to the interiors of luxury cars, but the exteriors of jets are quite a bit more sensitive than the exteriors of cars. There are sensors and items such as pores on the leading edges of the wings that cannot have any kind of wax or product applied to them. I am going to go over all aspects of the jets with them to find out all the parts I can and cannot touch. For those of you who have experience detailing jets, what kind of products and processes do you recommend and what to avoid or absolutely not use? Thanks!

Those pores on the leading edges are for the tks system..... which sprays out a mist of tks to melt the ice on the wings..... you can tape those down or get large rolls of paper (which is easier IMO) to cover them. Also tape down all static ports and pitot tubes - those holes get filled with wax buildup and it throws the readings off when in flight and could potential bring an aircraft down. As Ed mentioned you don't want to wipe clean all the grease from the landing gear. If detailing the flight station I usually use a dry micro to wipe finger prints off lcd screens - I have never felt comfortable putting anything on my mf when wiping those , but maybe thats just me?!?!? We like granitize aviation products and nuvite products - but there are a few other companies you can check out as well. Granitize has a great drywash - check it out for sure (not cheap though)..... its what we used here the other night -

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/192520_452677098101938_133436126_o.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/704419_452677178101930_1844640401_o.jpg

Also, ammonia free glass cleaner is a must.... only wipe in the direction of air travel over windscreen. Be sure to take shoes off if you are going to stand on wing, also getting in the interior (one of my rules). NEVER set ANYTHING in the nacelle inlet.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU NEVER USE THE WORD DRYWASH IN AUTO DETAILING LOL - PEOPLE TEND TO PICK THAT APART FOR SOME REASON - BUT VERY ACCEPTABLE IN AVIATION :dblthumb2:

Setec Astronomy
12-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Yikes, onboard glycol...pretty interesting.

Porsche Pilot
12-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Dry wash (there, I said it) is really the only efficient way to wash aircraft these days. Most every airport in the nation gets some sort of funding from the FAA. That means that the EPA can stick their nose in there and regulate all sorts of things. Water runoff being one. My local airport has completely removed the self serve wash area. I haven't seen the hose in months. Plus, alot of hangars will not have running water...mine doesn't.

So, dry wash FTW!!

statusdetailing
12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Probably just leave the landing gear alone. I know special care has to be taken with the boots as well.

PiPUK
12-10-2012, 05:28 PM
JUST MAKE SURE YOU NEVER USE THE WORD DRYWASH IN AUTO DETAILING LOL - PEOPLE TEND TO PICK THAT APART FOR SOME REASON - BUT VERY ACCEPTABLE IN AVIATION :dblthumb2:

I may be wrong but my experience is that most dirt originates on the ground so a vehicle which cruises a mile above it picks up less dirt than one which drives right on top of it!

FWIW, I have had the question asked of me. The problem - massive risk if something goes wrong. It may seem like there is no problem but things behave strangely when travelling at 500mph. For a start, oils will potentially self emulsify. This is something I have observed first hand... if you have a water insoluble residue, this can literally turn white and opaque when hit by high speed water droplets. Sounds absurd... sure you would never leave a residue... it was a glass sealant which (unknown at the time) had a non-volatile silicone which persisted.

So be careful you know exactly what you are doing, that your insurance is up to it and that you know the products absolutely inside out.

AeroCleanse
12-10-2012, 05:57 PM

Two places to look:

Jetstream Aviation Products - Home (http://www.jetstreamproducts.com/)

3S For Aircraft // G|Techniq (http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-aircraft/)

Bates Detailing
12-10-2012, 11:49 PM
I may be wrong but my experience is that most dirt originates on the ground so a vehicle which cruises a mile above it picks up less dirt than one which drives right on top of it!

FWIW, I have had the question asked of me. The problem - massive risk if something goes wrong. It may seem like there is no problem but things behave strangely when travelling at 500mph. For a start, oils will potentially self emulsify. This is something I have observed first hand... if you have a water insoluble residue, this can literally turn white and opaque when hit by high speed water droplets. Sounds absurd... sure you would never leave a residue... it was a glass sealant which (unknown at the time) had a non-volatile silicone which persisted.

So be careful you know exactly what you are doing, that your insurance is up to it and that you know the products absolutely inside out.

WHAT? :dunno:

Bates Detailing
12-10-2012, 11:52 PM
This post is a little scary. I don't think a auto detailing forum is a good place to learn about detailing jets. Sometimes it best to know what you don't know.

???? Fortunately for the OP, there are pros that have ALOT of experience in this field - even AGians with their own aircraft lol......

Any other questions OP - give me a call :dblthumb2: