PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat 2.0 on glass

WRXINXS
12-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Just had one more quick question about Opti-Coat 2.0. I hear that Optimum does not recommend on glass. I have heard though, that some people put it on all glass except for the windshield. Does anyone have any experience using OC 2.0 on glass.

Drew

Setec Astronomy
12-09-2012, 10:41 AM
It seems that most people put Opti-Coat on glass (including the windshield), against the OPT reccomendation (which I believe to be for liability purposes). It also seems it does not hold up that well to wiper abrasion.

However, OPT is coming out with a new product line: Opti-Glass coating, Opti-Glass Pro coating, and Opti-Glass Clean and Protect maintenance product. This line is specifically targeted to glass, and purportedly is more resistant to wipers.

WRXINXS
12-09-2012, 01:24 PM
It seems that most people put Opti-Coat on glass (including the windshield), against the OPT reccomendation (which I believe to be for liability purposes). It also seems it does not hold up that well to wiper abrasion.

However, OPT is coming out with a new product line: Opti-Glass coating, Opti-Glass Pro coating, and Opti-Glass Clean and Protect maintenance product. This line is specifically targeted to glass, and purportedly is more resistant to wipers.

Wow, thanks for the news about the new product line. I will hold on putting the OC 2.0 on my glass for now and get the Opti-Glass coating when it comes out!

tuscarora dave
12-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Just had one more quick question about Opti-Coat 2.0. I hear that Optimum does not recommend on glass. I have heard though, that some people put it on all glass except for the windshield. Does anyone have any experience using OC 2.0 on glass. Drew
I have been applying it to glass since I've been using it. I have yet to apply it to a windshield though. If mechanical abrasion removes it then it stands to reason that wipers would remove it in short order so my thoughts are, "Why waste the product there?" It seemed to have faded away from my glass surfaces in about 6 months or so but the coating is still going on the paint for over a year now under severe abuse testing conditions.

That's interesting news!! :hungry: Just when I thought I was done trying new stuff...

mr.fusion
12-09-2012, 03:30 PM
I just put the OptiGlass Pro coating on my new work vehicle a couple weeks ago. Time will tell how it holds up, of course... but I was happy with the way the water beaded and rolled off when it finally rained here a little bit yesterday. Initial impression is very good.

Application was easy too. I prepped the glass by a polishing with Opt hyper compound, and wipedown with denatured alcohol. Then "waxed on" the Opti-glass with a cotton pad and let dry for a couple minutes before removing excess with a mf towel, per directions. I let a couple spots sit for a while to see if the haze would be tough to remove, but it wasn't at all. Temps were a little cool, but within the recommended range.

SeaJay's
12-09-2012, 05:38 PM
I always apply it to glass except the windshield. Never had an issue with it. I also have had it on my HHR SS windows for a year and half now and it's still perfectly fine.