PDA

View Full Version : What are your tips for applying Rain-X ?

Pages : [1] 2

deeman
12-08-2012, 02:34 PM
What are your tricks or preferred method of applying Rain-X? Seems like sometimes it works great for me and other times not so much.

Finemess
12-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I wash the truck than dry it off. Clean glass with Megs cleaner. Than Rain-X, let it haze and wipe off. I notice sometimes it helps to wipe it off with damp towel and buff.

Darvetis
12-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Best way to apply is slowly, carefully dump in garbage can, Then go purchase Aquapel, you won't regret it...

Chris's FX4
12-08-2012, 03:31 PM
I apply 1 coat, let it haze. Apply 2nd coat, let it haze. Then finally I wipe it off with a damp MF.

goodasnew
12-08-2012, 03:33 PM
i do 1 window at a time, put it on, let it haze for about 1 minute then wipe off before moving to the next window. and half the windshield at a time.

Eddie 70
12-08-2012, 03:41 PM
I usually apply to all windows and then go inside and let it set for a couple of hours or overnight. Remove it with a damp cloth and then buff.

Blackthorn One
12-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I rub it in until the glass feels slick under my fingers as I rub. I then go over it again to find any missed spots where the cloth grabs. Then I wait 15 minutes, use a wet towel to clean it off, and then a clean, dry towel to buff off excess until it feels slick again. That method always works for me. I get a month out of it without wipers.

AutowerxDetailing
12-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Best way to apply is slowly, carefully dump in garbage can, Then go purchase Aquapel, you won't regret it...

LOL I need to try that stuff!

In my experience with Rain-X the longer you let it haze the better. I have buffed it off too soon before and got ZERO beading. I think it was due to colder weather and me not paying close enough attention. As long as you let it haze completely you should be good.

96Lude
12-08-2012, 04:17 PM

Absolutely agree. Nothing but BAD experiences with Rain-X and GREAT experiences with Aquapel.

stephent007
12-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I apply 1 coat, let it haze. Apply 2nd coat, let it haze. Then finally I wipe it off with a damp MF.

:iagree:

I apply the second coat right over the first one. And I leave the second coat on for as long as I can before removing.

GS2011
12-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I apply two coats, let it dry to a haze, and wipe off with a damp cloth.

KillaCam
12-08-2012, 07:06 PM
I rub it in until the glass feels slick under my fingers as I rub. I then go over it again to find any missed spots where the cloth grabs. Then I wait 15 minutes, use a wet towel to clean it off, and then a clean, dry towel to buff off excess until it feels slick again. That method always works for me. I get a month out of it without wipers.
1 month? I get at LEAST 2-3 months on a daily driver that's outside 24/7 when I apply Collinite 845 to my glass. Maybe everyone in this thread should try that? It's a lot easier to work with and the water flies off the glass like crazy.

Chris's FX4
12-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I get at least a minimum of 3 months with Rain-X with nothing else on the glass, even in the winter. Truck is outside 24/7 as well. Maybe using Rain-X's washer fluid really does add beading technology?

deeman
12-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Great tips. I did order a 4 pack of Aquapel. I will try that. I may have rushed the removal. Its 40-50 degreegs F here and I only waited about 5 minutes before removing. Oh well. sounds like Aquapel is the ticket. Thanks guys!

Blackthorn One
12-08-2012, 08:28 PM
1 month? I get at LEAST 2-3 months on a daily driver that's outside 24/7 when I apply Collinite 845 to my glass. Maybe everyone in this thread should try that? It's a lot easier to work with and the water flies off the glass like crazy.
I get a full month, sometimes 6 weeks, but by then, it is pretty thin. The nice thing about rain X is that the glass doesn't accumulate dust as much with it on. The glass stays much cleaner, so it has benefits even in the dry months. It certainly is a pain to use, though. Does 845 on glass make it stay more dust free as well? I have quite abit of Rain X left, but I would really like to try Aquapel, with everything I have been hearing of it.

The product concept I am most impressed with is "Bulletproof" windshield treatment. It is basically a clear resin that is durable enough to last a year, and because it fills all of the microscopic imperfections in the glass, it makes the glass surface so smooth that it prevents damage from flying stones.

The idea is that stones catch the microscopic rough texture of untreated glass, which allows the force to concentrate enough in that spot to cause damage, but with the glass totally smooth, stones glance off. That was how the company described the product. The testimonials are thee, from truckers, but I have never used it.