PDA

View Full Version : Is layering opti-coat worth it?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

WRXINXS
12-08-2012, 02:08 PM
I am getting my car opti-guarded/coated from a professional detailer in my area. I hear that the new 2.0 is layerable. My question is, is it really worth it to add a second coat?

Also I was wondering if Carpro Reload can be used on top of opti-guard/coat to add more slickness. I believe Optimum spray wax is also recommended for that purpose?

Thanks,
Drew

fenderpicks
12-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I never knew OC 2.0 can be layered.
But anyways... IF it is layerable, i'd say go for it. It dont hurt to many multiple layers of OC.
but are u suppose to lay the 2nd layer 24hr after the 1st coat?

And any spray wax can add slickness to the coating.
I have tried, Opti spray wax/reload/dodo red mist w/ great result

rustytruck
12-08-2012, 04:58 PM
If it is being professionally applied he should not be using 2.0 he should use the professional version.

IID
12-08-2012, 06:26 PM
OC2.0 can be layered
OG can be layered (within cure time)
Reload can be applied to OC/OG but there should be no reason to UNLESS you do want added slickness

Doing a 2010' BLACK F150 Crew Cab now,and it IS recieving OG (paying customer requested OG so that's what he gets).

tuscarora dave
12-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I called Optimum a few weeks ago to ask about the required cure time between coats and was told by "Ron" that "theoretically you could layer it within an hour as soon as it cures to the touch", he said however that "a lot of professionals like to wait the full cure time which could be months."

The only caveat is that "after 3 layers, the Optimum Coating tends to discolor" So no more that 3 layers is recommended.

WRXINXS
12-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Great info guys thanks! Does it actually get that much thicker if you layer it? I have a sunday driver that I am getting a layer of 2.0 and was just wondering if it would really be worth it to get the detailer to add a second coat or if I should just stick with one coat.

mwoolfso
12-09-2012, 07:49 AM
How would YOU value the second layer? If nothing else, layering OC is personal preference, a form of insurance.

PiPUK
12-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Surely the protection of a single layer is meant to last the lifetime of the paint... so what is the merit of adding layers?

Setec Astronomy
12-09-2012, 08:01 AM
I called Optimum a few weeks ago to ask about the required cure time between coats and was told by "Ron" that "theoretically you could layer it within an hour as soon as it cures to the touch", he said however that "a lot of professionals like to wait the full cure time which could be months."

The only caveat is that "after 3 layers, the Optimum Coating tends to discolor" So no more that 3 layers is recommended.

If "Ron" is Ron from Dents and Details, he works with Anthony, and they have the longest experience with Opti-Seal and Opti-Coat since Anthony says he was the one that asked Dr. G for a WOWA sealant. I wonder what "discolor" means...whether the thickness gives it some optical effect, or if it's something else.

How would YOU value the second layer? If nothing else, layering OC is personal preference, a form of insurance.

Chris@Optimum has said that layering OC is kind of a waste of time, that one coat is permanent, and how much more permanent can you get? I'm not sure I 100% agree with that, but IMO putting a second layer on a "Sunday driver" doesn't seem worth it.

Flash Gordon
12-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Surely the protection of a single layer is meant to last the lifetime of the paint... so what is the merit of adding layers?

I think it only lasts 5 years (+/-) not a lifetime protection

Furthermore! I think if you covered the surface properly the first time, a second coat wouldn't be necessary

PiPUK
12-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Chris@Optimum has said that layering OC is kind of a waste of time, that one coat is permanent, and how much more permanent can you get? I'm not sure I 100% agree with that, but IMO putting a second layer on a "Sunday driver" doesn't seem worth it.

This is what I meant.

5 years is good enough for me! In any case, have we any data on what fails after 5 years? Unless you are frequently machining the car, surely there isn't enough abrasion to remove such a hard coat in that length of time... so is it the bond to the surface which will become compromised? If so... a second layer isn't going to help!

I would have thought that the ideal scenario would have bee a single layer and then top it off with whatever appearance devoted (as opposed to the opticoat which is primarily protection) you prefer.

Setec Astronomy
12-09-2012, 09:07 AM

Yeah, that's back into the argument of what is the definition of "permanent" and "lifetime". Most would consider the paint on the car to be "permanent" or a "lifetime" coating, but we've all seen clearcoat failure, so how is "permanent" defined?

tuscarora dave
12-09-2012, 09:25 AM
If "Ron" is Ron from Dents and Details, he works with Anthony, and they have the longest experience with Opti-Seal and Opti-Coat since Anthony says he was the one that asked Dr. G for a WOWA sealant. I wonder what "discolor" means...whether the thickness gives it some optical effect, or if it's something else.

I'm not sure who Ron is but he seemed to be very intelligent and knowledgeable about the products he was speaking of. Very nice guy too. He said while Dr.G was demonstrating the application at SEMA, he accidentally discovered the discoloration after the third coat.

Basically what I gathered from the conversation was that while applying coat after coat in the process of demonstrating how to apply the coating, after the third coating application was applied on the demonstration panel, this discoloring occurred right before their eyes. Ron however didn't get real in depth about the discoloration because I wasn't asking him to.

The vibe I got from Ron during that call was that he would have gone into detail about it if I had asked him to. Great experience so far as customer service has been concerned with Optimum.

Old Tiger
12-09-2012, 09:38 AM
I have changed my technique for OG. I now dispense 7 ml for a sed or 10ml for an SUV. I apply what is left over on the horizontal surfaces to finish off the surplus. It is usually done within 15 to 20 minutes of the first coat. No issues so far. I really love ReLoad as a topper.an

WRXINXS
12-09-2012, 09:50 AM
After hearing all that you guys have to offer, I think I am going to just go with a single coat and top with reload after washes to add slickness!! Thank you all for the help!