PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Cleaning

TrevorW22
12-07-2012, 11:10 PM
I know there's lots of products that clean wheels. But is there a significant difference between using a cleaner specific for one type of wheel? Or am I going to get the same effect if I just use a cleaner safe for all wheels? The ones I use at work clean the wheel nicely, and I've never been dissatisfied.

goodasnew
12-07-2012, 11:16 PM
tell us the ones you are using at work. acid based wheel cleaners work by far better than the regular meguiars brand wheel cleaners. I have some stuff that literally cleans the wheels itself if sprayed on for a few minutes before pressure washing. works on painted, aluminum, chrome, whatever. PM me and ill tell you what it is.

ihaveacamaro
12-07-2012, 11:47 PM
I use OPC at 1 part concentrate to 4 parts water with really good results... safe on all finishes too!

TrevorW22
12-08-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm using Pro's Wheelie Clean. Says it's safe for all wheels and works amazingly well.. But then again I've never used anything but that.

Evan.J
12-08-2012, 12:52 AM
I have used WG Uber Wheel cleaner Car Pro Trix Megs Wheel brightener all have worked well. I do like the Trix which is similar to Iron-X. You will need to be careful if you are going to be cleaing any uncoated aluminum wheels with anything that is acid.

Always read the lables of what your going to use and make sure you know if the wheels are coated or uncoated.

TrevorW22
12-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Maybe I need to reword my question. Why use a wheel cleaner for a specific wheel when I could use one that's safe for all wheels and achieve the same results?

PiPUK
12-08-2012, 05:55 AM
There was a thread about this lately. Summary:

Acid cleaners - most effective, most economical but most aggressive should your rim be sensitive or have damage.

Alkaline cleaners - split into caustic and non-caustic. Strong caustic are next up in aggression beside the acids although depending upon the acid, they can be every bit as dangerous. They are again quite economical but would not be as effective as acids. Non-caustics are a bit less effective (mainly due to the limitation in pH) but are a lot safer for use on any wheel. They will tend to work out more expensive per use than caustic cleaners since they wont be able to be diluted as much.

pH neutral - either reactive or otherwise. The reactive are a great alternative to acids - like acids they actually dissolve the brake dust (alkaline cleaners mostly do not). Unlike acids, they don't blindly react with absolutely every metal they encounter. Down-side is they cost a lot more. Non-reactive cleaners are going to be the safest type but will tend to be the least effective of all the products so will require previously sealed wheels and/or manual abrasion.

As a producer I see little reason for a hobbyist going for anything other than the non-caustic alkaline or reactive neutral (depending upon cost of course). The former is really very effective, it is cheap and it is safe. For the pro I can understand having an arsenal of products to be able to tackle all eventualities with minimal cost and time.

AeroCleanse
12-08-2012, 10:46 AM
I find CG Diablo works well for me.

ScottB
12-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I still find myself back with P21S and a good ole fashion towel to get into corners, and a Daytona Wheel Brush. In the end nothing is ever damaged no matter my custom wheels or a factory set.

y8s
12-08-2012, 12:09 PM
I've been wondering about wheel maintenance cleaning products.

Say I've already done my massive deep clean and put on a layer of sealant and want to do weekly maintenance cleaning... are the pH neutral reactives a good choice? Is just car wash soap the answer?

Eddie 70
12-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Would it be possible to list an example or two of each type discussed above?

Munich77
12-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Just get Sonax Wheel Effects - non-acid and the best stuff out there - but expensive!

Charleston
12-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Say I've already done my massive deep clean and put on a layer of sealant and want to do weekly maintenance cleaning... are the pH neutral reactives a good choice? Is just car wash soap the answer?

Soap and water will be fine, and work best.

PiPUK
12-08-2012, 07:33 PM

Depends if you are wanting to and can afford to take preventative cleaning as an approach. Visually, your normal wash soap will be fine. However, as will be clear when you do your next decon, iron will have embedded into the top surface. By using the reactive product you will regularly be dissolving what smaller iron build ups occur and will dramatically decrease the work needed when it comes to the next deep clean (and may in fact totally negate the need for this step). The only downside is the cost but (IMO) this is the best method presently available for keeping wheels clean and minimising the corrosive effects of iron on your rims.

Would it be possible to list an example or two of each type discussed above?

I would Eddie but the products we have in my part of the world are generally different to you guys so it would be of limited use to you.