PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my paint...

xseveredveganx
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Hello everyone! I recently had some point work performed on my car. The other day I noticed some scratching in some of the new paint work. I think it's just in the clear because I don't believe the roof needed much prep/body work. If you need more pictures, let me know! It's kind of hard to see in pictures, but it's there! I'm curious if a simple compounding followed by a polish and wax will be sufficient, or if I'll have to wet sand. I'm hoping for the former.
On the other hand, I very well may be too picky and a perfectionist.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/xseveredveganx/20121207_144821.jpg

goodasnew
12-07-2012, 10:26 PM
looks like it just overspray. in which case, hit it with some clay and then wax. if its in the clear you will probably need either sand and compound or heavy compound alone.

xseveredveganx
12-07-2012, 10:52 PM
I think what you're talking about are the metallic flakes. The reflection of the building shows the scratches the most. I'm thinking it's from the cut and buff.

goodasnew
12-07-2012, 10:55 PM
yeah just sand those with 1500 then with 2000 then hit with some compound and polish. no biggie. OR, POSSILBY...... those could be body filler scratches at which time you would need to take it back to the body shop and rip them a new......

RedXray
12-07-2012, 10:56 PM
If those sand scratches are in the base coat there's nothing you can do about them except re-spray. If it's the clear you have a shot at laying them down. Just don't go crazy on the clear coat and cut through. You'll know quickly if they are being removed. If it's in the base coat you'll have to ask yourself "can I live with these" or "I have to have this re-sprayed"

xseveredveganx
12-07-2012, 11:34 PM
I automatically assumed that they were in the base coat, but I don't think they would have used that aggressive of a paper if no body work was involved. I'll have to get a buddy of mine that works at a shop to look at it.

Thanks guys!

RedXray
12-07-2012, 11:38 PM
I automatically assumed that they were in the base coat, but I don't think they would have used that aggressive of a paper if no body work was involved. I'll have to get a buddy of mine that works at a shop to look at it.

Thanks guys!

I'd do a small test area... this will confirm either base or clear.

xseveredveganx
12-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Alright. I should be picking up a PCXP on the next couple weeks, so I should be able to try something.

rmagnus
12-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Just have the body's hop fix it and go have a beer. Why should you fix something you paid for?

xseveredveganx
12-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Just have the body's hop fix it and go have a beer. Why should you fix something you paid for?
More than likely this is what I'll be doing. I need to go back and get my bumper fixed because someone backed into me and scuffed it up. :bat: