PDA

View Full Version : I was enjoying this topic!

Dr Oldz
12-07-2012, 12:04 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/58108-little-hard-remove-hologram-m105.html

Anyone else have some useful info to add?

Flannigan
12-07-2012, 12:06 AM
I was enjoying it, didn't see any reason for it to be closed since no one broke any rules.... :dunno:

Cooter
12-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Me not likey :hungry:

Hoytman
12-07-2012, 02:21 AM
I was enjoying it also, but a couple of guys hijacked the op's thread.

I think they were out of line by misrepresenting what MikeP said...

...and I have proof.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/circular-polishers-rotary-polishers-high-speed-polisher/58195-rotary-only-high-gloss-shots.html#post776474

Dr Oldz
12-07-2012, 02:55 AM
:awman:

statusdetailing
12-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Here's something I've found. When finishing out with a rotary, it's easier to remove 99-100% of swirls and get an awesome chrystal clear finish...until you pull it out in the sun to find a few random holograms.

When finishing with a DA it's easy to remove holograms but more difficult to remove 100% of swirls.

From what I've seen so far in my career and from talking to others, I feel like rotaries have the potention to finish out nicer than a da, but a da is just so much easier.

Here's the scenario: I've been working on a clients car all day and I'm on my last polishing step with an hour or 2 left before the client arrives. I could finish with the rotary and it would probably look awesome, but it's starting to get dark and it's going to be difficult to see if I did happen to instill holograms.

Or

I could grab the PC DA with m205 and be sure that there aren't any holograms. Will there be a few isolated swirls...maybe. But, like Mike always says. Most customers can't tell a swirl from a squirrel. Most customers will point out a hologram immediately, though.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
12-07-2012, 01:07 PM
I guess some posts got deleted; probably for the better.

Status Detailing - You can still finish out with a rotary. Just be sure to clean the surface after you're done with something like IPA or Menz Top Inspection. Even though you can't check your work in the direct sunlight, you should still be able to spot any swirling or holograms using some halogen bulbs. I'm sure the car came out great!

RaskyR1
12-07-2012, 01:25 PM
M105/M205 will not finish down on all paint types with a rotary, period! This is why it's a must to have lot of polish and pad options. I have also come across paints where I've exhausted several rotary pad/polish combos and the paint simply did not respond well to rotary polishing. While rare, they are out there.

I've been spinning rotary polishers going on 23 years now and I'm confident in my ability to finish hologram free on most paints. That being said, I also know when the DA is the better choice for finishing.

At the end of the day its easier to finish 100% hologram free on a DA so if you're having issues with rotary finishing, why not grab the DA? Most clients aren't willing to pay for the little extra gloss the rotary can achieve on some paints anyway.

I've seen several threads over the years where detailers "think" they are finishing hologram free, only to be called out later by the next detailer who has to fix there work...ones reputation can get trashed very quickly with such threads....

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
12-07-2012, 01:35 PM
M105/M205 will not finish down on all paint types with a rotary, period! This is why it's a must to have lot of polish and pad options. I have also come across paints where I've exhausted several rotary pad/polish combos and the paint simply did not respond well to rotary polishing. While rare, they are out there.

I've been spinning rotary polishers going on 23 years now and I'm confident in my ability to finish hologram free on most paints. That being said, I also know when the DA is the better choice for finishing.

At the end of the day its easier to finish 100% hologram free on a DA so if you're having issues with rotary finishing, why not grab the DA? Most clients aren't willing to pay for the little extra gloss the rotary can achieve on some paints anyway.

I've seen several threads over the years where detailers "think" they are finishing hologram free, only to be called out later by the next detailer who has to fix there work...ones reputation can get trashed very quickly with such threads....

How awesome is 3M UF to use with a rotary?! Talk about glossy! Unfortunately it's not a polish to use with a DA. Menz 106 finishes down nice with a DA though!

RaskyR1
12-07-2012, 01:43 PM
How awesome is 3M UF to use with a rotary?! Talk about glossy! Unfortunately it's not a polish to use with a DA. Menz 106 finishes down nice with a DA though!

UF is nice on a rotary (though an oil slingy mess) but I see many people use it improperly. Lots of polishes are designed to be tool specif, yet we as detailers are always working outside those manufactures suggestions, and many find they can also get great results with other tools. 106fa is one of my most used finishing polishes. :props:

statusdetailing
12-07-2012, 02:45 PM
I guess some posts got deleted; probably for the better.

Status Detailing - You can still finish out with a rotary. Just be sure to clean the surface after you're done with something like IPA or Menz Top Inspection. Even though you can't check your work in the direct sunlight, you should still be able to spot any swirling or holograms using some halogen bulbs. I'm sure the car came out great!

I totally agree that it's possible to finish out with a rotary, and I do it quite often. I just think it's a little trickier and maybe riskier (maybe that's not the best word choice), especially if you are in a time crunch.

Bigbull2984
12-07-2012, 03:45 PM
I ran out of popcorn and it was locked when I got back:(