PDA

View Full Version : PC and what can it remove/can't remove?

BlackRocks
05-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Hello. I am pretty new to this forum and I am very new to the PC DA unit.

I have some neighbors and friends that I detail cars for in a general sense. Not professional and not to the point of removing scratches. Now, I am looking at doing this as a serious business and have some questions about the PC and foam pad abilitites.

Can I get some ideas on what type of marks a PC and a cutting pad(yellow and orange) can do with a compound or aggressive polish? I am specifically interested in knowing if a PC can actually remove 2500 and 3000 grit wet sanding marks. I have a neighbor with a truck that is going to need some light sanding here and there. I do have a rotary buffer on order, but my skill level is low(from past experience) and will take some time to get up to par.

Todd

Neothin
05-24-2006, 08:54 PM
i've successfully removed hazing leftover by a rubbing compound paste on a beige vw bug using optimum hyper compound and a yellow 4" pad. it took FOREVER, but the marks did come clean.

and then i switched to a rotary and it took an hour to do the rest of the car :P

DS Detailer
05-24-2006, 10:01 PM
I'd rethink the business thing, atleast jumping right in. It takes a while to develop a niche... But once its there, its there.

FloridaNative
05-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Check out this link Black Rocks it is very educational and you can see the porter cable work on many kinds of defects. :) Hope it helps.
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video.html

nbk13nw
05-25-2006, 12:57 PM
I recently wet sanded the hood of my black 05 Mustang. Started with 1500and finished with 2000. using the PC and some Optimum compound I was able to get the scratches out just fine, although it took some playing with pads, pressure and speed. I ended finding that on my hood it took an Edge yellow pad, worked it in using medium pressure and speed and finished off with Optimum polish at high speed and little pressure.

BlackRocks
05-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Check out this link Black Rocks it is very educational and you can see the porter cable work on many kinds of defects. :) Hope it helps.
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video.html

Thank you for the links. The PC may be capable of a little more 'work' than I thought.

Todd

FloridaNative
05-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Thank you for the links. The PC may be capable of a little more 'work' than I thought.

Todd

Thank Killrwheels, he's the one that turned me on to that video. :) Just want to give the credit where the credit is due. :)

Neothin
05-25-2006, 10:33 PM
the PC is a very capable machine, it will just take a good deal more time to get it to work completely. the difference between the PC and the rotary is that with the PC, speed is sacrificed for safety during usage. it is nearly impossible to hurt paint with a porter cable while with a rotary it's rather easy. the pc also takes a heck of a lot longer to do the same job as a rotary.

ScottB
05-26-2006, 06:23 AM
the PC is a very capable machine, it will just take a good deal more time to get it to work completely.

:iagree: :iagree:

But much safer in the hands of a novice. Unless you actually toss the machine at the car, you pretty much know that theres going to be no damage. Then move to a rotary when time permits and practice, practice, practice.