PDA

View Full Version : Clay replacement - Problems???

TroyScherer
12-06-2012, 11:21 AM
For anyone that has used any of the new clay bar replacement towel / pad.

Have you used clay afterwards to make sure you really removed all of the contamination? I have been hearing that some have tested with clay after doing decon using these products and have still gotten quite a bit of contamination in the clay... Thoughts?

A-train
12-06-2012, 03:09 PM
I haven't done a test after using the speedy prep. It is certainly a good idea. After using a clay alternative I have noticed similar slickness however I also realize that is not a true determiner. I love the quickness of the clay alternatives however my complaint is not really being able to see what I am pulling off the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

TroyScherer
12-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I guess I am just wondering if everyone has tested this for themselves or if they are simply blindly following the newest thing? I have held off on these simply because they have yet to be proven to be better than clay over an extended period of time...

psnt1ol
12-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I have yet to try out the towels but I do have the pads (NanoSkin).

From a "time-saver" point of view.... NanoSkin wins.

From a "wear & tear on the body" POV..... NanoSkin wins (since you will be using a DA).

From a "thoroughness" POV..... Clay wins by a slight margin.

I will continue to use clay alternatives because of the wear and tear factor. At the end of a detail, I don't feel as beat-up by using the pads as i would using clay.

Hoytman
12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
While I don't own a Skin or a towel, I do own a clay foam block. I first broke it in on the glass of 3 vehicles before ever using it the first time on my black Trailblazer. I have pictures of the hood, paint stripped and in direct sunlight, and I have the same pictures taken after using the foam block.

Absolutley, unbelievable marring of hard black paint. My lube was UWW+ thoroughly mixed according to directions for the purpose at hand and used thoroughly during the process. Didn't really matter since I was planning to compound anyway, but the I'll be watchful of this in the future.

jhodges
12-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Have the NanoSkin pad, but haven't tried it yet. Just got the recommended liquid in a package. Will test it on my black '08 RAM next time I clay.