PDA

View Full Version : sf4000(85rd) instead of prewax cleaner?

Qusai
12-06-2012, 12:27 AM
So is it normal for people to use a fine polish like 85 instead of a prewax cleaner to prep the paint for a new lsp?? I mean it makes the paint look nice and supposed to cut through previous lsp, so would it be ideal for me to prep paint with a fine polish as i would with a prewax cleaner since it pretty much does the same thing? Maybe i am forgetting the cleaning part, but would i really benefit from a good cleaning from prewax polish? I have wg polish enhancer(prewax cleaner) and would also like to know if anybody had good results and or tips for this product Thank you.

Bull Moose
12-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Depends on what you are trying to acheive and the condition of the car. Prewax cleaners and SF4000/SF4500 (finishing polishes) are different animals. Could you use a polish like that in lieu of a paint cleaner to merely remove LSP? Absolutely, but if you're only trying to acheive that, then using the polish is a bit of a square peg in a round hole in my opinion. Why cut at all if you just want to remove the existing LSP? Now if the paint needs a little polishing to remove very light swirls or micromarring, or you want to jewel, then this polish would be ideal and you would not need a cleaner after this polish to go to a LSP. If you are already happy with the condition of the paint and merely want to remove the old LSP, and brighten and clean the paint, and possibly disguise a few minor swirls, then cleaner is the way to go in my opinion. BTW, I own SF4000 and SF4500, as well as several paint cleaners (WG, P21s) and use all of them depending on the circumstances. Good luck.

umi000
12-06-2012, 02:44 AM
Remember that some polishes have oils that might hinder the bonding of your new LSP - it's one of the reasons why people will use Eraser or IPA or a pre-wax cleaner after polishing, to ensure that nothing is left on the paint.

silverfox
12-06-2012, 05:03 AM
I wouldn't apply an LSP right after using PO 85rd so you would still need to "clean" the paint anyway of polishing oils...so I don't see that the two scenarios are even remotely similar.

I think prewax cleaners are fantastic. PO 85rd is better suited for multiple step jobs.

Mike Phillips
12-06-2012, 05:36 AM
I would use a fine cut polish like SF 4000 instead of a pre-wax cleaner, heck might as well polish out minor imperfections to maximize gloss and clarity if you're going to go to the trouble of running a polisher over the paint.

Might not work to remove coatings but it should obliterate most waxes and synthetic paint sealants.

:)

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
12-06-2012, 08:55 AM
I agree with the others; go with the fine polish, do an IPA wipe down to remove the oils and you're ready for your LSP!

Qusai
12-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Thank you!

Qusai
12-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I actually meant sf4500, where it has a cut of 1 as oppsed to sf4000, which has a cut of 2.5. If 4500 has enough cut to go through lsp, then ill just use that since it is less abrasive