PDA

View Full Version : What should I look for in a repair/repaint?

lokerola
12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Folks, my 2011 black Charger is in the body shop after the crash I had. It's getting the passenger fender replaced. The adjuster told me they would be blending the paint into the hood and passenger door. This scares me and I'm hoping they do a good job.

What should I look for when I go to pick up the car? Should I bring a Xeon light with me to look for swirls, badly matched panels, etc?

Any thoughts on how long I should let the new panel and blended hood and door set before applying sealant or wax?

Thanks fellow AG'ers! :dblthumb2:

Alex

RedXray
12-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Depends on the paint system used for the amount of time to outgass before wax or sealant, I would wait at least 90 days. You can use a bodyshop safe glaze anytime to keep it clean and glossy.

cartman57
12-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Speak with the bodyshop foreman, owner or the one doing the repair how long to wait.
I'd be concerned how the adjuster knows the other areas will be 'blended' in if they were not damaged.

Drew847
12-05-2012, 08:16 PM
As the adjuster saying they will be blending paint into paint is idk.... no sense. They most likely will just get your paint code and paint the new fender. And more likely buff the new fender out and buff the panels around the new fender to "blend" it in. A Xeon light would be great, but a "Body Shop Glaze" would hide some defects if any. But i highly dout they will be painting over paint.

I would bring the light. Sealant let the car sit for i think its 48 hrs for paint to cure.. Correct me someone if im wrong. After that seal it up!!

Ps. Before Seal make sure you clay bar your whole car to remove OverSpray. Bodyshops are messy.

RedXray
12-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Sealant let the car sit for i think its 48 hrs for paint to cure.. Correct me someone if im wrong. After that seal it up!!

I've painted cars since the mid 70's and have never read a manufactures bulletin BASF, PPG, DuPont etc. that their systems "cure" in 48 hours. The outgas period can vary depending on the system used and whether or not the finish is baked. As a safe baseline I always told my customers 90 days. YMMV

cartman57
12-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Wonder what procedure the AG crew will be doing for the mystery car in Nebraska will be? I doubt they'll be putting a sealant it right away.

Paul Mitchell
12-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Speak with the bodyshop foreman, owner or the one doing the repair how long to wait.
I'd be concerned how the adjuster knows the other areas will be 'blended' in if they were not damaged.

It;s a standard practice to tint and blend adjacent panels so the one that was damaged doesn't stand out from the others.

rmagnus
12-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Most every body shop will blend a panel reap ray into adjacent panels. It fri ks the eye so that it looks like a perfect color match. Only the body shop can guide you as to how long to wait for wax or sealant. Ask about their guarantee. Forget the light you're not goingto find anything. They will buff and glaze the car sono thing will show until it wears off. Just use. On on sense and inspect. Make sure all the bolts were reinstalled and panel lines up. Don't worry these are easy repairs these days.

lokerola
12-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Depends on the paint system used for the amount of time to outgass before wax or sealant, I would wait at least 90 days. You can use a bodyshop safe glaze anytime to keep it clean and glossy.

I thought I read somewhere that the curing time could be up to 90 days, so thanks for confirming that. I do have Poorboys black hole glaze, I'm guessing that will have to get me through the winter.

Well, the adjuster didn't tell me that up front. She told me that after the shop assessed the damage. Sounds like that's what they'll be doing. Good point about talking to the foremen; I'll be sure to ask before I take possession of the car.

As the adjuster saying they will be blending paint into paint is idk.... no sense. They most likely will just get your paint code and paint the new fender. And more likely buff the new fender out and buff the panels around the new fender to "blend" it in. A Xeon light would be great, but a "Body Shop Glaze" would hide some defects if any. But i highly dout they will be painting over paint.

I would bring the light. Sealant let the car sit for i think its 48 hrs for paint to cure.. Correct me someone if im wrong. After that seal it up!!

Ps. Before Seal make sure you clay bar your whole car to remove OverSpray. Bodyshops are messy.

Yea, they'll probably glaze it before giving it back to me. As long as there are no big problems or major holograms/swirls, I should be OK.

I've painted cars since the mid 70's and have never read a manufactures bulletin BASF, PPG, DuPont etc. that their systems "cure" in 48 hours. The outgas period can vary depending on the system used and whether or not the finish is baked. As a safe baseline I always told my customers 90 days. YMMV

RedXray, thanks - again, this confirms what I've heard (or thought I heard), that it takes up to 90 days for the paint to cure. In your experience does that mean wash and glaze only (no wax, no sealants, etc for those 90 days)?

It;s a standard practice to tint and blend adjacent panels so the one that was damaged doesn't stand out from the others.

Sounds like what the adjuster told me. Thanks.

Most every body shop will blend a panel reap ray into adjacent panels. It fri ks the eye so that it looks like a perfect color match. Only the body shop can guide you as to how long to wait for wax or sealant. Ask about their guarantee. Forget the light you're not goingto find anything. They will buff and glaze the car sono thing will show until it wears off. Just use. On on sense and inspect. Make sure all the bolts were reinstalled and panel lines up. Don't worry these are easy repairs these days.

Ah, good point about the bolts and panel line up, thanks Rmagnus! I'll be sure to look at the wheel well (lots of plastic rivets there,) and under the hood before accepting the car.

Thanks so much everybody for your input, thoughts, and suggestions. I should be getting the car back next week. I'll post some pics and experiences after I get it back.

Alex

oldmodman
12-06-2012, 04:11 AM
I had a metallic green car with a damaged drivers door.

The paint shop re-skinned the door, re-painted the door and blended the paint halfway onto the front fender and rear door. The entire side of the Explorer was re-cleared. You cannot tell where the original paint stops and the new paint begins. Plus the clear the shop used is MUCH NICER than Fords factory finish.
As a matter of fact I really regret not having the shop shoot clear on the entire car.

lokerola
12-06-2012, 09:18 AM
I had a metallic green car with a damaged drivers door.

The paint shop re-skinned the door, re-painted the door and blended the paint halfway onto the front fender and rear door. The entire side of the Explorer was re-cleared. You cannot tell where the original paint stops and the new paint begins. Plus the clear the shop used is MUCH NICER than Fords factory finish.
As a matter of fact I really regret not having the shop shoot clear on the entire car.

It's funny you mention that. The front bumper already has road rash on it from having to drive through a construction zone at highway speeds for a year. I should have asked the shop what it would cost to throw in a repaint of the bumper. It seems to me that Dodge's paint and clear are very thin and a repaint by a good shop might actually be an upgrade. Oh well, next time, LOL!

Crispy
06-22-2015, 08:46 PM
There is a difference between compound and polish vs. wax and sealants (glaze not sure). Compound and polish can be and should be used 24 hrs after application. Paint is super soft and easily corrected. Done this many times without problems. I do wait at least 2 weeks before wax or sealants.