PDA

View Full Version : Help with pricing out a detail

Pages : [1] 2 3

EricPerrier
12-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Hey everyone. I have a few quick questions regarding a current detail.

Its a 2013 Ford F350. Black.

The truck is used as a work truck, and along with that came caked on mud/dirt/grime. After the initial wash (2x) I noticed scratches in a few spots on the truck.

What would one normally charge for this? Keep in mind that the owner of the vehicle is close to me and I am not looking to overcharge him. Feed back please

ken tuep
12-05-2012, 06:16 PM
I think its really up to you. What's your time worth? I like to make no less than $20 an hour. Family is usually different, I just make sure my materials are covered and a little compensation for my time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

rider9195
12-05-2012, 06:22 PM
What is the owner looking for? Does he just want a wash and wax? Or does he want the paint looking scratch free? Being that the truck is black and it is a work truck, I don't think it will stay very clean.

EricPerrier
12-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Basically it will be an account for me. We talked about me servicing the truck once a month. He initially would like the scratches taken out and have the truck looking like new.

Drew847
12-05-2012, 06:54 PM
If I was you, and he's a close friend.

1 Step Polish w/ Scratch Removal w/ Wax $160
2 Step Compound/Polish w/ Scratch Removal w/ Wax $220-$260

Above prices would only be ext of the truck/door jams. Interior would be extra but at a low cost. Its a big Truck and its Black. Do your best so next month you will have little work and can make a easy $80.00 on a quick 2 hour at most clean up.

Ps. I do $30 hr for friends.
Family i dont charge.

If he ask why so high or makes a sense of that you are over charging let him know why and that the next details/washes will be cheaper because you have already fixed the main issues.

goodasnew
12-05-2012, 07:04 PM
so much of the price depends on factors, a lot like real estate, like LOCATION. not sure where you live but in some places you would have trouble getting $100 for a full detail on this and in other places you could get $300 for an exterior only. huge gap there. so, depends a lot on that. also, depends on exactly what job you are doing, much like what rider9195 said. are we talking having to do compound/polish/wax, or can we get away with like a 105/205 combo(not likely if its black) if you are gonna be doing it every month. and of course the family/friend factor comes in. at my shop , I pay my guys a lot more than the average wage, we do a great job, and we make no less than $25 an hour minus our materials (usually about $10 per detail). a lot of factors to consider.

EricPerrier
12-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Thank you everyone for the rquick responces!

Drew I will take that into account! I appriciate it!

EricPerrier
12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Goodasnew -> thjats what Im having trouble deciding~ I dont want to charge for materials but I dont want to lose my ass either. Its a BIGGGG truck lol

Vegas Transplant
12-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Its a 2013 Ford F350. Black.

What would one normally charge for this?

What's your skill set looking like?

EricPerrier
12-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Been doing it for a few years, can get out normal defects/ scratches / marring

Andr3wilson
12-05-2012, 07:25 PM
A friend will understand that you have costs and have to make a wage. Generally for me.

My neighbours I charge full for work, free pick up and delivery, if they refer someone to me, i give them a %30 discount (lol walk over and give them the money back, works extremely well!).

Friends i will take %30 off automatically off of the retail price

As far as the size of vehicles go, I personally do not change the price with regards to size (I charge premium prices, I feel charging more is ripping them off), but I know a lot of guys who will charge extra for a truck or a car with intricate panels (Such as a Merc G-Wagon). So my recommendation for pricing oversized or difficult (scratched up) vehicles is: For how ever long it takes you on top of a standard car, charge %75 of your hourly wage for ever extra hour you spend.

Remember as a reputation, you dont want to be known as one who can be meddled with.

Hope this helps! :)

Vegas Transplant
12-05-2012, 07:30 PM
10-04.

If you're grinding with a da, have plenty of pads, varying colors to speed up the process.
If using rotary, use pad/product according t test spot.
Me personally, paint only, scratched up 350 I'd pick a mid range price...common ground, but I would get this in writing at time of quote

Basically it will be an account for me. We talked about me servicing the truck once a month.

goodasnew
12-05-2012, 07:34 PM
then I would just charge him like $15 an hour being sure that he WILL be getting it done once a month. make some money now, but understand that you will be making more money consistantly in the future.

Drew847
12-05-2012, 07:43 PM
No rudeness, $15/per hr is very low. 8 Hours of hard work on a Black F350 will only pay you $120.00. Minus your Products/Gas/Food/Ect. You will only make $100 if you dont use allot of product.

Goodluck
:autowash:

goodasnew
12-05-2012, 07:52 PM
tell us where you live first. second, this job, exterior only, would not take me more than 4 hours. and the fact that you will be doing it every month or so means MUCH more than the first time price. keep in mind, 30 days from now, the job will be much easier. the detailing business in a decent sized city is much more about repeat customers than it is about "lets make a killing on this one car". do him a good job, offer to give him a discount of $10 if a customer refers in and gets their vehicle cleaned, and before you know it you have more than enough customers. trust me, I turned away 3 customers today only. hard to do but I am also booked through the end of the year. so where you live?