PDA

View Full Version : M105 to 3M compound...?

Hoytman
12-05-2012, 02:39 PM
I just knew it...

I am not going to have enough M105 to finish my Trailblazer. My only back-up compounds are D300, 3M Super Duty (which is prbably much too strong for what I'm doing, but I've never tried it) AND 3M Perfect-It 3000 Rubbing Compound, car polishing compound, auto paint compound (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-rubbing-compound-16oz.html) ...which is what I thought about using but have no experience with it. Will it give me similar results? What do you think?

KillaCam
12-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Try D300. I heard the 3m compounds and polishes aren't very good.

Hoytman
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Try D300. I heard the 3m compounds and polishes aren't very good.

So...I have $100-$120 worth of products that aren't worth anything? :cry:

I was hoping to finish with the foam pads I started with rather than try a learning curve with D300 and micro-fiber pads that I haven't tried yet. I really didn't want to have to learn how to use two new products on this project because I'm pushed for time. It's bad enough that I'm forced to change one item let alone two. Awwww man...

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Stick with Meguiar's. 3M is pretty craptastic. If you have too, get some UC/UP and stay away from the 3M other than playing with panels from the scrap yard.

rmagnus
12-05-2012, 02:52 PM
IMO 3M Perfect-It 3000 Rubbing Compound is similar to M105. You can always try a test area first. Also can use a less aggressive pad. I guess it depends on how bad the area is you need to compound. Any compound that can remove 1200 grit sanding marks will be similar to M105.

Super Duty sounds more aggressive. I haven't used 3M is quite awhile still have some 3M Finess It that I use to buff and cut new clear coat finishes with. Now I pretty much use 105/205.

Hoytman
12-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Stick with Meguiar's. 3M is pretty craptastic. If you have too, get some UC/UP and stay away from the 3M other than playing with panels from the scrap yard.

You've got to be kidding me about 3M...

I forgot that I have Ultimate Compound that I can try.

IMO 3M Perfect-It 3000 Rubbing Compound is similar to M105. You can always try a test area first. Also can use a less aggressive pad. I guess it depends on how bad the area is you need to compound. Any compound that can remove 1200 grit sanding marks will be similar to M105.

It's bad enough that in order to remove the oxidation that it takes two sets of section passes, and then a third switching to the DA to remove the rotary swirls.

Super Duty sounds more aggressive. I haven't used 3M is quite awhile still have some 3M Finess It that I use to buff and cut new clear coat finishes with. Now I pretty much use 105/205.

Yeah...I guess I should go out and do a test spot. Man...I was hoping to skip all of that.

I've heard that Super Duty is rocks in a bottle and have pretty much reserved it for gel-coat.

I guess I could run to Autozone and get another bottle of M105, but I was hoping to not have to leave the project while the sun is shining.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Currently my body shop has the 3M line of compounds and polishes and I brought my personal stash of M105/M205 to work to compare them side by side. Lets just say that my coworkers and I wont be using the 3M at work anymore and we have a bunch of Meguiar's MSDS's being approved so we can get the stuff on order.

Hoytman
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Okay...I just finished a test spot with the 3M product in the link I provided.

The first thing I did was wash my pad as to not cross contaminate everything. I then applied a bead of the 3M product, worked it in with the rotary and a 4" orange CCS pad, then made 3 ISP wipe downs. A couple of comments.

I also noticed a longer working time and a chemical smell to the products. Don't know if the working time was a result of a possible solvent in the products or not.

The 3M product did remove this oxidation much easier than M105 and this would make you think it's cutting more, but I'm not so sure of that. It doesn't appear to make the paint as flat and it seems like it will take several more passes to get it there. Where with using M105 when the oxidation is gone, the paint is looking really flat.

IDK...seems like the 3M had a lot of oils in it, but the area wiped off easy and looked fine. Three (3) wipes downs with 12% ISP didn't make it look any worse or better. I should probably do more thorough testing, but I don't have time for it. I've got just a tad of M105 left and it might...just might finish me out...at least with removing the bulk of the oxidation. Then again, I could use the 3M to remove it, then switch back to the M105...nah...

Hoytman
12-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Currently my body shop has the 3M line of compounds and polishes and I brought my personal stash of M105/M205 to work to compare them side by side. Lets just say that my coworkers and I wont be using the 3M at work anymore and we have a bunch of Meguiar's MSDS's being approved so we can get the stuff on order.

Really? Hmmmmnnnn...

2old2change
12-05-2012, 03:52 PM
How much m105 do ya need Bill ?