PDA

View Full Version : Care for matte finishes?

Snowdrifter
12-05-2012, 01:30 AM
I'm painting my rims with Rustoleum flat black enamel spray. The previous owner didn't wash the car and the brake dust ate through the paint on my rims.

I normally scrub out the inside of my rims and apply a coat of wax or two every time I rotate the tires - 3000 miles. But since this is a matte finish, I'm not sure if I can still do this? What would you guys suggest in terms of care?

margallar
12-05-2012, 02:12 AM
you can use any spray wax on the matte paint, paste or liquid might make it glossy so they should be avoided, swissvax makes a wax for matte paints but its too expensive

ProDetail
12-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Check Chemical Guys website I know they have a Matte soap but I believe they have have a wax also. The swissvax wax if your using it on wheels will last you a very long time since its just your wheels. Good Luck

PiPUK
12-05-2012, 05:08 AM
It is worth remembering that the recommendations are not high temperature products. Hot dust from the brakes will embed into the wax, rather like a hot knife cutting into butter. Whilst this will not do any specific harm, it will mean that cleaning will be more difficult.

Snowdrifter
12-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Do I need a special matte soap or can I just use dish soap/wax free car soap?

The rims just finished drying. Here's a picture so we are all on the same page
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa378/chance1525/Mobile%20Uploads/S__0571_zps551deaec.jpg

PiPUK
12-05-2012, 04:26 PM
can I just use dish soap/wax free car soap?

As long as your shampoo doesn't claim to have gloss enhancers, drying agents (or anything else beyond the basic cleaning) then it will be dandy.