PDA

View Full Version : help for Black car

christos_81
04-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Gday all,

First post for myself. Here goes. Have been into detailing for some time, but have quickly realised I am an amature. What I really want to know is what are the primary differences b/w cleansers and polishes. Also, when would you use each for a particular application. I own a black Honda integra type r, although the paint is in excellent condition, it does have swirl marks in it which really annoy me. So my next question is what products or combo would you recommend to bring it up to scractch ??? I have been looking at the pinnacle and swissol brands, have been impressed by both, just would like your opinion. Also I have been detailing my car by hand, not machine polish, would I still be able to do it by hand or do I have to step up to a machine?

Mike T
04-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Paint cleaners are for removing oxidation, LSP removal, etc. Polishes are more for imperfection corrections. Good combo's are the SSR , XMT series with polishing or light cutting pads. If the imperfections are minor then I would recommend a light polish (XMT1 or SSR1) w/ a polishing pad. Medium imperfections require something a little stronger (SSR2, XMT2) w/ a light cutting pad. You might accomplish imperfection removal by hand, but it requires more time and elbow grease. You could use paint cleaners by hand with ease. Sorry for just the brief explanation, I'm @ work right now.
Pinnicle makes outstanding product. Souveran wax look incredible on black. Poorboy's and Wolfgang are also two other great lines you should check out. This is truly a great forum and finding the answers to all your questions. Never hesitate to ask. There are no stupid questions.

D
04-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Exactly what Mike said. You COULD do it by hand, but you wont be able to get everything out like you could if you used the polisher. If youve got light swirls then I also recommend XMT 360. This has correction ability of about XMT 1.5- 2. It also cleans the paint every well and is a sealant. There is no cure time for it, so you can apply a wax right after it.

There are a lot of different porter cable kits you can chose from, so check those out, Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher (http://autogeek.net/po.html)

ScottB
04-27-2007, 09:17 PM
save your money, Swissol is extremely similar looking to Pinnacle and you'll save money going the Souveran route.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/3107-entire-process-c6-owners-obviously-all-others-long-post.html

Nica
04-28-2007, 09:58 AM
First of all welcome to AutoGeek and as for your questions I agree you can do it by hand but you wont get the same results as a PC or rotary.