PDA

View Full Version : Light sanding of scratch, can PC remove

BlackRocks
05-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Okay, if I needed to use 2500 or 3000 grit wet sanding to remove a scratch in the clear coat, is it possible for the PC remove the sanding marks with the right pad/compound combination? I am really hoping I can do this with something like Poorboys 3.0 and a yellow cutting pad or maybe even an orange pad. I am working on my rotarty buffer skills, but if I can keep a rotarty out of the combination.....all the better. I have a neighbor that has a entire rear quarter panel on his truck in need of light sanding, almost, and I don't want to tackle it just yet. I was able to reduce the visibility of them dramatically with and orange pad and PB 2.5(it seems to have removed the 'tails' of the scratches, only leaving the deeper portion of them).

Thank you,
Todd

cummins03
05-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes, I have removed 2000 grit sand scratches with my PC. I used an orange light cutting pad and 3m Perfect 3.

ScottB
05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
It can do it .... but your choice of speed, polish, and pads will have alot to do with it. Consider SSR 2.5 or 3.0 an orange pad (followed by white) and top speed on the PC. Allow the polish to fully cure and tranistion from a liquid to a powder prior to stopping. Panel via panel. I would highly suggest j eweling the surface with a finishing pad (grey or blue) and a final polish like 1.0 SSR also.

BlackRocks
05-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Thank you guys for the feedback. I have the complete (#2 and #3) Poorboys line up of polishes/compounds on my next order and I will give them a try with the orange pad. I'll remember the rule, too, start out with a finer polish and work up to more aggressive if not successful.

Todd