PDA

View Full Version : Wash again before the second coat of sealant?

Mc'lovin
12-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Hi all,

I have a question for those who enjoy applying at least two coats of sealant/wax to their cars.

Most sealants today require a curing time of several hours before introducing a new coat of anything. So let's say you have a car which you want to pamper with two coats of sealant, but you need to let it cure for 12 hours before applying the second coat.

Do you need to wash the car again after those 12 hours, before applying the second coat, or do you usually go right at it? My instincts say the former, in order to prevent inducing new swirls to the paint, however it seems wasteful and time consuming and maybe it's cool to add the second coat immediately after the sealant curing?

Thank you :)

Speed-Dude
12-02-2012, 05:47 PM
You'd probably be fine just using a QD or a waterless wash for whatever light dust is there and then go at the second coat.

Chris's FX4
12-02-2012, 05:58 PM
I use two coats of WGDGPS on my truck. My truck has to sit outside overnight while the first coat cures. Depending on how dusty it is the next day, its get a quick QD or ONR. Most of the time its the QD.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
12-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Most sealants (at least that I've worked with) have required a 12 hour cure period before adding a second coat. I wouldn't wash the car again thought; at most, I would mist a MF towel with some QD and give the panels with dust a quick wipfe. My car is garage kept, so I've never worried about it; I come back the next day, add my second coat and buff.

Are you keeping your car outside where it's exposed to the elements?

umi000
12-02-2012, 11:31 PM
If you haven't used it, some waterless wash to remove dust would suffice; otherwise, I'd wait until my next (weekly) wash to apply a second coat.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-03-2012, 12:06 AM
I would avoid quick detailers or anything with polymers. Wash the car again, dry, and apply the 2nd coat. You may want to wash with a soap that has no gloss enhancing polymers. This may sound anal, but you want the BEST surface possible prior to applying an LSP.

ski2
12-03-2012, 09:10 AM
You could use a sealant with a curing agent like DG105 mixed 4 to 1 with DG601(curing agent) which would allow you to add the second coat in 2 hours.

Mc'lovin
12-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Everyone thanks so much for your input... Sorry it took me so long to respond :)