PDA

View Full Version : how many swirl remover

BenSRT
12-02-2012, 11:35 AM
how many swirl remover I can do on my car? Until at day I make M205 with polishing pad and a other day I use SF-4500 with finishing pad? I not have a thickness tool?

many thanks

BenSRT
12-02-2012, 12:53 PM
any answers?

rider9195
12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
It's hard to say. Many variables to consider!

andres
12-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I’m of the opinion (actually, I just started to think about this) that swirl marks are not necessarily those concentric scratches we observed, but they may be related to some optical phenomena. If that is the case, they will manifest as the clear coat thickness compares with (a multiple value of) the wavelength (say 550 nm) of the visible light we use to illuminate the surface. Removing the swirl marks will then be equivalent to changing the thickness of the clear coat film in the order of few (or hundreds) of nanometers. So, if you polish the clear coat for too long you’ll be “removing” swirls in one pass, then, add them back … remove… add them periodically with subsequent passes. Therefore, apply enough swirl removers to get rid of them, and stop after achieving your objective. BTW, I’m not a professional detailer; hopefully, others, with the right expertise, will advise accordingly.

AutowerxDetailing
12-02-2012, 02:56 PM
According to the readings I get while polishing a car I can get sometimes 80-90% of swirls and defects out and only need to remove about 1-2 microns of film build. Like Rider is saying there are a ton of variables to consider (how deep the defects are in the paint, how soft/hard the paint is, the color of the paint, your desired end results, etc.) so you really can't just put a number on "how many times can I polish my paint?"

The simple fact is every single time you polish your paint you are removing precious layers of UV coating in the clearcoat. The more you remove, the less protected the underlying colorcoat is. The extreme, of course, is you remove all the clearcoat and strike through to the underlying colorcoat which then requires the panel to be repainted.

A better question would be "how can I NOT instill new scratches or marring into my car's finish?" Since OEM paint is so incredibly thin already I am always looking for ways NOT to mess up the paint so there is no need for routine polishing. Best practices for safe washing techniques are infinitely important. Extended life & anti-scratch coatings like C.Quartz and Opti-Coat are another incredible innovation that can further lessen the need for repeated paint correction.

BenSRT
12-02-2012, 04:05 PM
of course the best thing to do is measured with a thickness tool but I don't have it,so I know my question is hard to answer. detailing is not my job is my hobby, but I work on my car and the cars of my family, friends etc...

Until today I make just 2 time finishing compounds on my oem paint car cause the paint had just little swirls not more.

BenSRT
12-02-2012, 07:41 PM
thanks guys!