PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Compound & Polish for New User with DA

Pages : [1] 2 3

explorerlyon
12-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I am getting the hang of my new Griots 6" DA. I tried a section on my 05 Expedition, green. I have some light to medium swirls. I tried a polish that I had a sample of using a LC CCS orange and white pad. The section polished up nice, but did not remove my swirls. I think I need to move to a compound instead.

My head is spinning with compounds and polishes on these forums. I keep coming across Meg UC followed by 205 and Optimum Compound II followed by Optimum Polish II.

I am confused what to buy, please help. Keep in mind I am brand new to using a DA. I am using LC CCS 6" pads and have orange, white, green and red.

P.S. I have a sample of Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover arriving soon that I will try out. Regardless, I need to decide and purchase someting to get the job done.

primo spaghetti
12-01-2012, 08:20 PM
optimum products are good because they dont stain the trim, and they are OC 2.0 ready with a damp MF wipedown.

Chris@AutoCleanse
12-01-2012, 08:23 PM
I am getting the hang of my new Griots 6" DA. I tried a section on my 05 Expedition, green. I have some light to medium swirls. I tried a polish that I had a sample of using a LC CCS orange and white pad. The section polished up nice, but did not remove my swirls. I think I need to move to a compound instead.

My head is spinning with compounds and polishes on these forums. I keep coming across Meg UC followed by 205 and Optimum Compound II followed by Optimum Polish II.

I am confused what to buy, please help. Keep in mind I am brand new to using a DA. I am using LC CCS 6" pads and have orange, white, green and red.

P.S. I have a sample of Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover arriving soon that I will try out. Regardless, I need to decide and purchase someting to get the job done.

What was the polish you had a sample of? You need something with abrasives in it to cut.

explorerlyon
12-01-2012, 08:27 PM
What was the polish you had a sample of? You need something with abrasives in it to cut.

HD Advanced Polish.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-01-2012, 09:04 PM
HD Advanced Polish.
HD Advanced Polish is more of a *finishing* polish and it's a good one.

waderw24
12-01-2012, 09:17 PM
check out the new menzerna fg400. it's a compound/polish that should remove the swirls you have. dont forget to do a test spot!

netoje
12-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I used UC and LC orange Pad and got decent results. Then I started using UC with Meg's MF cutting pad and had better results.
I am now using the MF cutting pad with D300 and its above and beyond. I will follow up with white LC pad and M205.

addysdaddy
12-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Think you could throw a dart and hit a winner at just about any of the high line offerings at AG. Any of the suggestions above are solid imo. Personally for serious correction I used M105 with an appropriately aggressive LC Hybrid (orange or blue) or HT pad (Cyan or Tangerine) and follow up with the Optimum Hyper Polish or M205 (white hybrid, HT Tangerine or Flat White LC pad). What I'm finding is different paints react differently and what works on one car really well may not on another. Another reason for the test spot and justification to buy several different compound/polish combinations. Hope I helped a little.

explorerlyon
12-04-2012, 11:32 AM
I have changed my approach....

Instead of doing both a compund and a polish, I want a 1-step for the correction (followed by sealer). I realize I have to compromise on the finish, that is OK. This is a Ford Expedition driven by my wife daily.

Can you recommend a good 1-step that will remove light swirls and finish nice. Again, I realize this is a compromise and I am OK with that.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-04-2012, 11:52 AM
You need 5.5" pads instead of 6" pads.

You could try Optimum Polish II and an LC hydro-tech tangerine pad. If the swirls are truly light, this combo should knock them out and finish with a high gloss.

explorerlyon
12-04-2012, 12:02 PM
You need 5.5" pads instead of 6" pads.

Why? Actually what I have is a 6" backing plate and 6.5" pads.

TimmyG
12-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Menzerna or the Wolfgang twins.

cleanmycorolla
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Menzerna or the Wolfgang twins.
For a new user, the WG Twins made undertsanding polsihing a breeze. But in actuality they're pretty good polishes too. I still use and enjoy them. Plus depending on the paint you could straight up use WG TSR 3.0 and have and lsp ready finish. It breaks down nice!

waderw24
12-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I have changed my approach....

Instead of doing both a compund and a polish, I want a 1-step for the correction (followed by sealer). I realize I have to compromise on the finish, that is OK. This is a Ford Expedition driven by my wife daily.

Can you recommend a good 1-step that will remove light swirls and finish nice. Again, I realize this is a compromise and I am OK with that.

Menzerna FG400 is right up your alley. Check out this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/57592-new-menzerna-fg-400-one-step-show-car-makeover.html

VISITOR
12-04-2012, 03:46 PM
HD Advanced Polish.

rwright did an excellent review on it and gives it nothing but praise. alot of people are reaching for this instead of PO85RD and it's defect removal is dependent on the pad choice...