PDA

View Full Version : Deep scratches in clear

Bigds2012TT
12-01-2012, 12:41 PM
I have some deep scratches not quite to primer and then I do have scratches to primer. I don't have a paint tester to see how much clear I have to work with and then the chips and scratches to the primer there is nothing I can do about those. Dr. Colorchip did not work well at all. And the factory chip paint hides the primer but still doesn't look good. I used the DA Meg's mf kit with d300 and 301 and got all the light scratches out with ease. Great kit for sure for newbs like myself. I then put opti-coat over my truck but having second thought about the deeper scratches I'm having regrets of doing it. I know paint will not be totally perfect but what do you all think?

cartman57
12-01-2012, 12:56 PM
While it's a scratch as you stated, I believe the principle is the same as: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/43535-key-repair-step-step-procedure.html
Metallics are more difficult especially on verticle panels because the flecks tend to pool at the lowest point in the paint, light even coats.

Color and condition of the remaining paint?

primo spaghetti
12-01-2012, 01:02 PM
what didnt work about the dr colourchip?

Bigds2012TT
12-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Did not fill in good at all. I followed all the directions and watched the various YouTube videos. Can't put it over the opti-coat can I?

Bigds2012TT
12-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Black 2012 Toyota tundra paint was in decent shape. They touched it before I found this site. Typical dirty mf they use an no telling what else they used.

primo spaghetti
12-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Did not fill in good at all. I followed all the directions and watched the various YouTube videos. Can't put it over the opti-coat can I?

no i dont think it will bond to the opticoat...youre likley going to have to polish the Oc off on that panel, repair the defects, and re apply OC to that panel.

i wonder is something was off on your prep for the dr colorchip...alot have used it with good results.

Bigds2012TT
12-01-2012, 01:12 PM
I did wash ad strip the truck before I did it. How will I know when I have polished enough off? The spots aren't really bad but my OCD will bother me.