PDA

View Full Version : New tuxedo black edge

Pages : [1] 2

13edge
11-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Hey everyone I'm new to the forums and have learned a lot. My wife and I just purchased a 2013 edge, tuxedo black. We love it....I have a porter cable 7424, but wandered what the best way to detail it would be. I think I have read way to much and am confused now. Any help would be great. Thanks brad

Chris@AutoCleanse
11-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Hey everyone I'm new to the forums and have learned a lot. My wife and I just purchased a 2013 edge, tuxedo black. We love it....I have a porter cable 7424, but wandered what the best way to detail it would be. I think I have read way to much and am confused now. Any help would be great. Thanks brad

You know keeping a black car clean is a part time job, welcome to the forum.

13edge
11-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Lol yes yes it is, this is my third one but am hoping the metal flakes will help with hiding imperfections.

Bill1234
11-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Welcome to the forum, I have a 12 edge and like it alot. I would personally get this to start out

2 buckets with grit guards
microfiber towels (good ones not cheap)
collinite 845 wax
leather protectant-mothers,meguiars
guzzler drying towel
shop vac

these are some of the basics needed to care for the car.

Tell your wife not to go to the car wash. A car wash will scratch and swirl your paint very easily

Johny B
11-30-2012, 09:56 PM
First welcome to AGO.
I think first thing you have to do is to check the paint condition. Often brand new cars are delivered with swirls or small defects on the paint.

Bill1234
11-30-2012, 09:57 PM
heres how to detail
clean rims and tires
wash body
dry
clay bar
dry
polish paint if needed
interior vaccum
clean mats and carpet,dress dash and everything
doorjambs if needed
wax
tire shine

13edge
11-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks for replies. Paints in awesome shape no swirls at all I told dealer not to touch it. I think I might order the forum favorite bundle for starters? Any thoughts

Bill1234
11-30-2012, 10:01 PM
I dont know what is in the forum favorite bundle, but I take time to have a plethora of products. Start with the basics then move to compounds and waxes,etc

Chris@AutoCleanse
11-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks for replies. Paints in awesome shape no swirls at all I told dealer not to touch it. I think I might order the forum favorite bundle for starters? Any thoughts

Winning combo blacklight followed by v7 hands down the best. In between the blacklight and v7 use petes 53 or 50/50 all chemical guys products by the way.:righton: on the black car that paint will pop.

13edge
12-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks Italian guy I also see they have a kit for sale and it looks like it would be everything I need to get started... Do you have any idea how long the wax will last with an Il. winter? Longevity is important for me.

primo spaghetti
12-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks Italian guy I also see they have a kit for sale and it looks like it would be everything I need to get started... Do you have any idea how long the wax will last with an Il. winter? Longevity is important for me.

if your looking for longevity look to a sealant...typical results are anywhere from 4-6 months to permanent (lifetime claim).

Ive used WGDGPS topped with 2 coats of liquid natty's blue and had stunning results (6-8 months), KSG with the same longevity, and have recently used OC 2.0 which claims to be a permanent sealant and love the results.

for me, id rather polish it out once, get it perfect, the opticoat.

in theory, any maintenance the paint may require in the future will be on the opticoat layer, not the clear coat...

13edge
12-01-2012, 10:21 AM
ok great thanks! so If i go the sealent route.... Wash... Dry.....Seal....wax???? Is this correct?

Chris@AutoCleanse
12-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Don't know about winter and how long it will last in that everioment, I live in sunny Florida. Have to ask somebody from that region .

primo spaghetti
12-01-2012, 11:50 AM
ok great thanks! so If i go the sealent route.... Wash... Dry.....Seal....wax???? Is this correct?

yes if you dont need clay or polish...

make sure if you are going to coat top your sealant that you let it cure as per the manufacturers recommendations before topping.

Duragloss also makes a good less than permanent sealant too...they are highly respected products and not hard on the wallet.

i would suggest you could also look to optimum opti seal...since you say the paint is in good shape, id polish with poli seal first just to make sure the paint is clean, opti seal and if you want top with wax, but it is not necessary IMO.

vegas911gts
12-02-2012, 12:30 AM
I had to look up what an edge was. Never heard of it before.