PDA

View Full Version : Working Time PO85RD and Black Pad

silvermesa
11-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Last summer I detailed my truck and worked M205 for about 6 passes on a white pad after using M 105 on a orange pad for 6 passes. I could not tell it at the time but I believe I worked M205 too long and caused some slight micro marring that I could only see in the sun after the detail was complete.

This brings me up to this point. Due to warm weather and low sun angle now I am working on correcting the slight micro marring by working outside this time. Today I worked PO85rd on a lake country flat black pad with Griots GG6 for about 6 passes on speed 5.5 and 6 passes on speed 3. I am seeing improvement and the micro marring appears to be gone. The PO85rd is not totally clear even after working it for the above length of time and am wondering if I should be working it even longer?

Will continue to work on this tomorrow so all thoughts appreciated!

Just an additional observation from today. I am not seeing any noticeable improvement in gloss but am seeing a clearing of the micro marring and clearing of very tiny cobb webb swirls.

White is a hard color to see this in but here are the photos. Photo on the left shows slight micro marring about an inch out from the light point. Photo on the right is after correction with PO85rd.

SonOfOC
11-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Try up the speed to 5. Speed 3 on the Griots may have a difficult time breaking down PO85rd.

cleanmycorolla
11-30-2012, 10:10 PM
you're doing a heck of a lot of section passes!

swanicyouth
11-30-2012, 10:28 PM
I think you may be using too much polish. For me, that polish would break down way before that. If you use too much polish and your polish isn't breaking down (DAT polish) you may remove the scratches, but not get the "pop" or the gloss maximized that is possible. I tend to use less polish than probably most. For me, PO85RD didn't have an exceptionally long work time, but my results were stunning on black.

silvermesa
11-30-2012, 11:50 PM
I have been priming the pad with a circle of product around the outer edge of the pad and then working it into the pad. I then have been putting 2-3 pea size dots on pad.

jpegs13
12-01-2012, 12:17 AM
You won't get a lot of "correcting" using 85rd and a black pad. That combo is usually used in the "jewelling" process. Try the 85rd with a white pad, then jewel with a black pad.
I've used that combo and I love the results

DiPaoro
12-01-2012, 04:23 AM
I have been having great success with m205 and green pad. In fact, I will be going with that combo today. Then I follow-up with 85rd with blue to "jewel" things up.

swanicyouth
12-01-2012, 09:00 AM
You won't get a lot of "correcting" using 85rd and a black pad. That combo is usually used in the "jewelling" process. Try the 85rd with a white pad, then jewel with a black pad.

I agree with this. That combo wouldnt remove the lightest defects for me, but it does make the paint pop

silvermesa
12-04-2012, 08:02 AM

I tried this combo and it worked fabulous on my GM paint. Just slightly more aggressive than the black pad.

This is my third detail on this vehicle in the last year and finally I feel like I've got the paint finish as good as I can get it.

Thank you all for your advice!

P.S. As per several posters advice, I think I was putting too much product on the pad. I adjusted the amount down to 3-4 pea size drops on the white pad and feel like the compound broke down well in 7 passes at speed 5.5. I took a towel and cleaned spent product off the pad on the fly and then did 3 more passes at speed 5.5 on griots GG6 and feel it did a great job.