PDA

View Full Version : Detail supply storage during winter

Pages : [1] 2

TimmyG
11-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Are you guys bringing all of your gear inside the house for the winter? These Chicago winters are very unpredictable lately, and I have thousands of dollars worth of supplies in my detached non-heated garage. Do I bring them all inside and deal with the wrath of my wife?!? Are any of my paste waxes, compounds, polishes, and other specialty products at risk in such cold weather?

Chris's FX4
11-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I brought everything back inside over Thanksgiving break. I forgot a bottle of Meg's Gold Class Liquid Wax in the garage last winter and it froze and the product separated. I really don't keep much in the garage anyway since I heard the heat can be just as harmful.

Better safe than sorry. The unstable temperature swings in the last few Chicago winters can't be good for too many products, or all of them.

DaHen
11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Brought all the liquid products in the house for the winter and gave them a good shake. Bout the only items left in the garage are the microfiber towels.

TimmyG
11-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Looks like I am going to have to bring my gear inside - or heat my garage...!

SuperiorAutoLLC
11-29-2012, 08:32 PM
All my stuff stays in the garage or in my trailer...but then again, I live in Florida :)Im the MAN

pdhenderson
11-29-2012, 08:38 PM
sitting beside my computer, under and in my bedroom closet

sparty
11-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Most of my supply stays in the garage, it is well insulated. Even with the coldest PA winters, the coldest it gets in the garage is 40. The only thing I bring in the house are the waxes - too much invested in them to take a risk. Last year we had a mild winter. Hoping for the same again this year.

-Sparty

ChrisJ
11-29-2012, 08:48 PM
I bring mine in but my lsp's stay in my minifridge

MMM Jelly Bean GNex

jjj
11-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Most of my supply stays in the garage, it is well insulated. Even with the coldest PA winters, the coldest it gets in the garage is 40. The only thing I bring in the house are the waxes - too much invested in them to take a risk. Last year we had a mild winter. Hoping for the same again this year.

-Sparty

Same here!

swanicyouth
11-29-2012, 09:20 PM
I started running a small heater in the garage 24/7. It's attached and also my laundry room. Hoping for a lot of snow.

RedXray
11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Garage kept at 70° year round

J.L.Auto
11-29-2012, 11:33 PM
All my fluids stay in the house under the kitchen sink and on the shelves in the laundry room.

Johny B
11-30-2012, 01:06 AM
All my products moved to my basement for the winter.:dblthumb2:

BobbyG
11-30-2012, 07:53 AM
As everyone knows, detailing products can and more often do become a sizable investment. Over the years I've never lost a product to heat but have lost a few due to freezing, especially repeated freezes.

My Rule

Whether liquid or paste, if it touches the finish it comes in for the winter and is stored in the my basement for the winter where the temp is a comfortable 60 degrees or more...

pixelmonkey
11-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Brought all the liquid products in the house for the winter and gave them a good shake. Bout the only items left in the garage are the microfiber towels.
same here.

packed them into the house before halloween.

packed them away in something like this...
Clever Store Storage Box / Bin / Tote | Rubbermaid (http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091925&CatName=Storage)
chris<pixelmonkey>:D