PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Microfiber detergent making my towels rough?

Pages : [1] 2

Speed-Dude
11-29-2012, 03:26 PM
I've been using the Pinnacle microfiber detergent I received with a pack of a bunch of microfibers from a VIP deal a few months ago. These included the Deluxe Jr. 600, the Supreme 530, and the Gold plush Jr. towels. However, I noticed that after the wash my towels seemed to feel a bit rough. I've washed a decent amount of loads as i'm about half way through with the bottle now and every time, even though they're clean, they have a rough feeling to them.

My typical wash method is 1.5 ounces of detergent, hot/cold water and extra rinse. Dry on low heat until towels are 80% dry and then hang dry them overnight. No fabric sheets. I've even tried pre-rinsing the washing machine with vinegar before washing the microfibers yet still get this feeling.

Am I still doing something wrong or do other people notice this? I also have two bottles of blackfire microfiber detergent would I notice a difference using that? Thanks for any help!

WRAPT C5Z06
11-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Sounds like you're doing everything right. Try BF to compare.

Bigbull2984
11-29-2012, 03:37 PM
I've been using the Pinnacle microfiber detergent I received with a pack of a bunch of microfibers from a VIP deal a few months ago. These included the Deluxe Jr. 600, the Supreme 530, and the Gold plush Jr. towels. However, I noticed that after the wash my towels seemed to feel a bit rough. I've washed a decent amount of loads as i'm about half way through with the bottle now and every time, even though they're clean, they have a rough feeling to them.

My typical wash method is 1.5 ounces of detergent, hot/cold water and extra rinse. Dry on low heat until towels are 80% dry and then hang dry them overnight. No fabric sheets. I've even tried pre-rinsing the washing machine with vinegar before washing the microfibers yet still get this feeling.

Am I still doing something wrong or do other people notice this? I also have two bottles of blackfire microfiber detergent would I notice a difference using that? Thanks for any help!

You are not alone, my 600s and 360 I bought earlier this year all feel rough. I felt that the blackfire does help them stay softer longer.

DaveT435
11-29-2012, 03:41 PM
I use the CG microfiber wash...I've washed some of them several times without any problem?? 530's and Gold plush...

IID
11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/52549-stuff-shiznit.html

amnbcn
11-29-2012, 03:56 PM
I use the CG microfiber wash...I've washed some of them several times without any problem?? 530's and Gold plush...

:iagree:
I've also used the CG microfiber wash and the towels actually came out softer than they were new. It also seems to really preserve the "static-icity" of the MF.

However, Blackfire was on my list to try next. No issues w/ CG, just wanted to see if I might be missing out on something better.

Since you already have Blackfire, give it a try. If that doesn't do it for you, order the CG.

Three other points I just thought of:

1) Supposedly, commercial laundry detergents, especially liquids, leave enough residue behind in the washer to actually clean another full load or two without adding any detergent to the machine. (never tested this, just heard it) I have an HE washer and run a machine cleaner through it every other month or so just to cut any excess residue from detergent and/or general muck from laundry. Otherwise, I get a build up on the inside of the drum.

Depending on your machine and normal soap, this could be something to consider. It may be that the vinegar wipe down is not enough on its own to clear everything out.

2) Hard water is not just a P.I.T.A. when washing your vehicle. The same culprit of water spots could be hindering your washing machine as well. If that's the case, either soften the water or add more detergent.

3) As far as drying goes, I do the opposite of your method. I let the towels hang dry to about 80% and then just throw them in the dryer (no sheets) on extra low for about 10 minutes. My main purpose for using the dryer at all is just to build up some extra static in the fibers.

Setec Astronomy
11-29-2012, 04:17 PM
1) Supposedly, commercial laundry detergents, especially liquids, leave enough residue behind in the washer to actually clean another full load or two without adding any detergent to the machine. (never tested this, just heard it)

I think most people use too much detergent, just human nature. The problem with washing MF's, is if you have tough-to-cut residues you have to use a lot of detergent, and then it's hard to get rinsed out. With my old top-loader, I have run many, many extra rinse cycles and still get suds out.

2) Hard water is not just a P.I.T.A. when washing your vehicle. The same culprit of water spots could be hindering your washing machine as well. If that's the case, either soften the water or add more detergent.

I suspect hard water is the culprit. If you think about it, just like hard water will leave difficult to remove residues on your paint if it dries, what do you think happens to your wet clothes/MF's when you dry them? You leave (crusty?) mineral residue in them.

ScottB
11-29-2012, 06:16 PM
use white vinegar in the rinse ...

amnbcn
11-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Good call. Vinegar will help to break down / remove any remaining mineral or detergent deposits left on the towels after the wash. If I'm thinking correctly, about 1/4 to 1/3 cup in the rinse cycle should take care of the whole load.

kimchiboi777
11-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Will this make your towels smell like vinegar?

amnbcn
11-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Nope. I actually use it instead of fabric softener even for my clothes. They won't smell like vinegar unless you use too much. Even if you do accidentally overdo it, the odor dissipates into the air in the dryer or during the hang dry.

Chris@AutoCleanse
11-29-2012, 08:10 PM

I got the same problem and I don't even dry them I just hang them up to air dry. I have tried 1 ounce of pinnacle and 2 ounces and still feel hard and rough. Even though they are clean I wonder if it is safe to use on paint.

Speed-Dude
11-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Sounds like you're doing everything right. Try BF to compare.

You are not alone, my 600s and 360 I bought earlier this year all feel rough. I felt that the blackfire does help them stay softer longer.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/52549-stuff-shiznit.html

Hmm looks like most of you suggest the blackfire so I will try that in my next load! It may be a while down the road from now but i'll see and try to update this if I remember.

Since you already have Blackfire, give it a try. If that doesn't do it for you, order the CG.

Three other points I just thought of:

1) Supposedly, commercial laundry detergents, especially liquids, leave enough residue behind in the washer to actually clean another full load or two without adding any detergent to the machine. (never tested this, just heard it) I have an HE washer and run a machine cleaner through it every other month or so just to cut any excess residue from detergent and/or general muck from laundry. Otherwise, I get a build up on the inside of the drum.

Depending on your machine and normal soap, this could be something to consider. It may be that the vinegar wipe down is not enough on its own to clear everything out.

3) As far as drying goes, I do the opposite of your method. I let the towels hang dry to about 80% and then just throw them in the dryer (no sheets) on extra low for about 10 minutes. My main purpose for using the dryer at all is just to build up some extra static in the fibers.

1) That does seem to make sense. These HE washers use significantly less water than the top-load washers I used to use so i'd assume they don't rinse loads as well. What do you mean by running a machine cleaner?

2) Yeah I have pretty hard water here. Eastern Washington and that area seems to always have hard water i'm not so sure about the rest of washington. I guess I did try to put more detergent but what would you consider to be a small load vs. a full load? I just kinda do whatever my gut tells me to heh but tend to err towards treating it as a large load.

3) Hmm maybe I can try that. I never really had a problem with static though I just worried that the dryer may be heating it past the point it's already dry and that heat could be what is causing the roughness?

I think most people use too much detergent, just human nature. The problem with washing MF's, is if you have tough-to-cut residues you have to use a lot of detergent, and then it's hard to get rinsed out. With my old top-loader, I have run many, many extra rinse cycles and still get suds out.

I suspect hard water is the culprit. If you think about it, just like hard water will leave difficult to remove residues on your paint if it dries, what do you think happens to your wet clothes/MF's when you dry them? You leave (crusty?) mineral residue in them.

See number 2 above. But I do agree, when I lived in illinois my mf towels didn't tend to come out like this even just using tide free.

Good call. Vinegar will help to break down / remove any remaining mineral or detergent deposits left on the towels after the wash. If I'm thinking correctly, about 1/4 to 1/3 cup in the rinse cycle should take care of the whole load.

My HE washer likes to lock the door throughout the whole cycle even if it has drained all the water and I stopped the cycle. How do I add vinegar to the rinse cycle just pour it into the detergent container when it starts?

Thanks for the quick feedback though! This is what I really like about AG and makes me feel more inclined to help others. :xyxthumbs:

Chris@AutoCleanse
11-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Just tried something different with towels after washing them in the pinnacle micro rejuvenator, I hung them up to air dry, they still felt rough and stiff, so after completely air drying them I sprayed each side of the towels with some water just a mist, then I threw them in the dryer on the fluff or no air setting and they came out feeling much better. Still might try the CG wash to see how that works.

amnbcn
11-29-2012, 10:25 PM
1) that does seem to make sense. These he washers use significantly less water than the top-load washers i used to use so i'd assume they don't rinse loads as well. What do you mean by running a machine cleaner?

The one I use is called "Washer Magic" (http://www.washermagic.com/). You can order it through Amazon and various other online stores, but I actually found it cheaper at Lowe's. Basically, it is just a solution that you pour into your detergent dispenser and then run through an empty load with the hottest water settings possible.

2) yeah i have pretty hard water here. Eastern washington and that area seems to always have hard water i'm not so sure about the rest of washington. I guess i did try to put more detergent but what would you consider to be a small load vs. A full load? I just kinda do whatever my gut tells me to heh but tend to err towards treating it as a large load.

This one is pretty subjective, as you already know. If I have a load that is roughly the size of a basketball when I pick it up to put in the washer, that is small to me. On the other hand, a load the size of, say, a beach ball is a large load.

As Setec Astronomy mentioned, adding more detergent will help overcome hard water, but it could leave more residue in the towels as well and compound your roughness problem. (A second rinse cycle never hurts in that case.) With an HE washer, you will have to be particularly careful. If you have already roughly doubled the amount called for without good results, I would stop adding detergent and rely more on the vinegar rinse or a method of softening the water.

Washing powder (a.k.a. soda ash, sodium carbonate) is a very effective water softener. Baking soda (a.k.a. sodium bicarbonate) is also somewhat effective, but to a noticeably lesser degree. You could try mixing either of these into your wash cycle, along with the MF detergent, and they should allow the detergent to work more effectively. Oxi-Clean is just sodium carbonate and dehydrated hydrogen peroxide, so you could even consider that an option as well.

Also, any of those three will have instructions on the box about how much to add depending upon the size of your load. You can even throw them directly into the drum with the towels to avoid having to mix them with the MF detergent in the dispenser.

As far as I know, none of these will harm your MF if used in recommended amounts. I have used them on mine in the past as well.

3) hmm maybe i can try that. I never really had a problem with static though i just worried that the dryer may be heating it past the point it's already dry and that heat could be what is causing the roughness?

You're right. It is possible to get the towels too hot and melt the tiny fibers, causing a rough feel. However, it is not likely to happen if using a short amount of time and on the lowest heat setting possible. IME, the static helps keep the fibers separated and fluffy. Plus, I also do this with the MF I use around the house and it significantly increases dust pickup.

Either way, the dryer is not essential and is not likely to be causing your issues with roughness.

my he washer likes to lock the door throughout the whole cycle even if it has drained all the water and i stopped the cycle. How do i add vinegar to the rinse cycle just pour it into the detergent container when it starts?

There should be a separate softener dispenser in the same drawer as your detergent dispenser. Mine is to the right of the detergent compartment and just in front of the bleach compartment. This makes it really easy as it will only dispense from that compartment during the rinse cycle. You don't have to "stand by" and try to catch it in time. Plus, the softener compartment is sort of pre-measured in that you can only pour a certain amount in. This will keep you from using too much.

thanks for the quick feedback though! This is what i really like about ag and makes me feel more inclined to help others. :xyxthumbs:

+1 -- I feel the exact same way about AG :dblthumb2: