PDA

View Full Version : Which D/A Polisher for my purposes

Pages : [1] 2

RandyD
11-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Looking at Griots new orbital, Meguiars 110V2 and Porter Cable 7424XP. I am not looking at doing any major correction, just minor and also using for applying waxes and sealants. Basically I am looking for the one that is most comfortable and easiest to use. Thanks.

DaveT435
11-28-2012, 09:52 AM
I have a PC that I got when my G110v2 went bad after 1 1/2 cars. If your not going to use it that much I would go PC or Griot's. The PC seems to be the most dependable of the three. The Griot's does have the most power and a lifetime warranty. Somewhere down the road you may want power...

zmcgovern45
11-28-2012, 10:05 AM
PC7424XP is great! I've used mine for several years on a regular basis (weekend warrior) and have no problems...... I want to upgrade to the Flex, but it's hard to find a reason to rush into buying another buffer when the PC7424XP does such a great job.

Setec Astronomy
11-28-2012, 10:08 AM
I agree with the others that if you're not going to be pushing for the last bit of correction, and you're just working on your own cars, the PC XP is the way to go. Plus you can get pretty darn good correction with the Meg's MF DA system, which should work fine with the PC XP.

statusdetailing
11-28-2012, 11:28 AM
PC

VISITOR
11-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Gg6...

ski2
11-28-2012, 03:01 PM
I don't think you can beat the Griots Polisher for the part time detailer or weekend warrior -- it is the most powerful of the "reasonably priced" DA's (as opposed to the Rupes or Flex) so as you get hooked on this you'll never lack for power. And, you can't beat the lifetime warranty-- say you use your polisher 10-12 times a year just doing you own car--4 years down the road it develops a problem--just send it to Groits for repair or replacement.

Meticulous-Detail
11-28-2012, 03:11 PM
I have both the PC and GG, I prefer the GG.

swanicyouth
11-28-2012, 03:43 PM
One thing to keep in mind, if you get a Griots you have to be very careful to not burn your pads if you are new to machine polishing, as that machine tends to generate more power / heat than others. There have been numerous threads on here about that.

I have a PC (old school) and my GG6 is coming tomorrow. I love my PC and haven't ran into anything it can't fix with the right pads and polish. That being said, correcting deep scratches can be VERY SLOW. But the machine is about 7 years old and still works perfect.

One thing that is a necessity in my opinion is a 3" backing plate and 3.5 or 4" pads. These help increase the machines power for spot correction and help you get into places bigger pads just won't fit. You will find yourself using them a lot.

GS2011
11-28-2012, 04:17 PM
One thing to keep in mind, if you get a Griots you have to be very careful to not burn your pads if you are new to machine polishing, as that machine tends to generate more power / heat than others. There have been numerous threads on here about that.

I have a Griot's on the way from AG (my first polisher) that I plan to use on our DD. Please explain the problem with burning pads, and how to avoid it? Thanks!

RZJZA80
11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
With the Griot's dropping in price with the new version coming out, there's no reason not to grab one now, especially with the warranty and additional power it provides. Go with the 25" cord version.

RZJZA80
11-28-2012, 04:30 PM
I have a Griot's on the way from AG (my first polisher) that I plan to use on our DD. Please explain the problem with burning pads, and how to avoid it? Thanks!

Burning your pads can happen when using the Griot's at speed 5 or 6, especially 6, for extended periods of time. The spindle heats up, transferring heat to the backing plate, and then to the pad itself. The center of the pad will begin to "melt" and burn up from the middle outwards, causing the backing of the pad to come apart. Keeping the pad clean throughout helps prolong this from happening also, as the oils will also heal up if the pad is soaked in, causing premature failure. Also use/alternate pads as you go along on a car to allow them to cool down. Using compressed air helps a lot also.

IMO, you don't really need to be on speed 6 anyway, so keep the speeds at 5 or below, pads cleaned often, and you'll be fine.

GS2011
11-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Burning your pads can happen when using the Griot's at speed 5 or 6, especially 6, for extended periods of time. The spindle heats up, transferring heat to the backing plate, and then to the pad itself. The center of the pad will begin to "melt" and burn up from the middle outwards, causing the backing of the pad to come apart. Keeping the pad clean throughout helps prolong this from happening also, as the oils will also heal up if the pad is soaked in, causing premature failure. Also use/alternate pads as you go along on a car to allow them to cool down. Using compressed air helps a lot also.

IMO, you don't really need to be on speed 6 anyway, so keep the speeds at 5 or below, pads cleaned often, and you'll be fine.

Thank you very much for the info. Much appreciated!

Eandras
11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
I would get the Griots 6". Packs good griots has more power for about the same money.

Ed

RandyD
11-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm going for the Griot's