PDA

View Full Version : upcoming detail advise please

roth79
11-28-2012, 09:14 AM
I am redoing my 2012 Sierra PU, this year and am cleaning off the WGDPS I put on in March and polishing and redoing the sealer and my new fusion over it, (Great Deal and Thanks AG) the question I have is after I wash and clay and clean the paint with the da do I have to do a alchol wipe or something before I polish with my da?

I have read alot pros and cons what do I do before polishing after cleaning the paint real good?

Thanks all.

Roth

ImWatchdog
11-28-2012, 09:30 AM
An IPA wipedown before you polish? No, I think that would be overkill. A wipedown between the polish & the sealant is what I would do.

roth79
11-28-2012, 09:45 AM
After polish a wipedown? with what would I use and what strength should I use? Is there a procedure or wipe on and wipe off with it? Thanks.

Setec Astronomy
11-28-2012, 10:06 AM
As ImWatchdog noted, an IPA wipe is usually to remove surface oils before application of your wax or particularly sealant.

It is important to do that "cleaning the paint real good" before you polish, so that bonded contaminants don't marr your finish, and that surface dirt doesn't clog your polishing pads.

roth79
11-28-2012, 10:27 AM
What strenght IPA wipedown guys? What should I use as a IPA and how, sorry for the stupid questions and thanks.

mjlinane
11-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Many differing opinions on this. I believe Mike recommends about 12%.