PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars DAMF Finishing Disc + M205

gportiz
11-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Has anyone tried using M205 (instead of D301)with the Megs DAMF finishing disc? If so, how were your results?

I'm getting ready to use the system for the first time but I would like to use a different LSP than D301.

Thanks,

Gil

AutowerxDetailing
11-28-2012, 12:14 AM
I have never used the finishing discs... I only have the Meg's compounding discs and the LC MF discs. With that being said, D300 leaves an almost LSP ready finish. Depending on your vehicle's paint system, color, and your desired results you may find yourself to be LSP ready after just D300.

With that being said, M205 would be a great way to polish out any haze leftover from compounding with D300 and leave a perfect show car finish. Then top with your choice of LSP and you're good to go! :dblthumb2:

psynx
11-28-2012, 02:12 AM
I've used 105 and 205 with the DAMFS and it does wonders on some cars. I personally dont like AIO products. like the finishing D301 polishing and wax. On my Honda Fit i use UP from megs cause the paint is very soft and hazes easily

Mike Phillips
11-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Hi Gil,

If you use this combo, do a test spot first and inspect the results before buffing out the entire car. ON harder paints it should work fine but on softer paints that are dark in color you might see some DA Haze or micro-marring. So just test first...

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)
(and why it's so important)

:)

gportiz
11-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi Gil,

If you use this combo, do a test spot first and inspect the results before buffing out the entire car. ON harder paints it should work fine but on softer paints that are dark in color you might see some DA Haze or micro-marring. So just test first...

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)
(and why it's so important)

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

I have soft Lexus black paint so now I'm concerned with using M205 with the DAMF Disc. I don't want to use the AIO D301. Are there other products that you suggest using with the DAMF Finishing Disc as my 2nd step? I really do want to stick with the DAMF Disc for I like the benefits of no product slinging and the ease of cleaning with an air gun.

Thanks,

Gil

gportiz
11-28-2012, 12:26 PM
I've used 105 and 205 with the DAMFS and it does wonders on some cars. I personally dont like AIO products. like the finishing D301 polishing and wax. On my Honda Fit i use UP from megs cause the paint is very soft and hazes easily

Thanks for your reply.

I also have soft paint. So you use Megs Ultimate Polish instead of the D301? Which MF Pad do you use with the Ultimate Polish?

Mike Phillips
11-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Are there other products that you suggest using with the DAMF Finishing Disc as my 2nd step? I really do want to stick with the DAMF Disc for I like the benefits of no product slinging and the ease of cleaning with an air gun.

Thanks,

Gil

Hi Gil,

Anytime you use a product that contains a protection ingredient like some type of Carnauba Wax or a Synthetic Paint Sealant, and this includes all-in-one type products also called a cleaner/waxes, since the product is leaving behind the protection ingredient it's filling or coating over to some degree.

That's a good thing. If the process is removing defects but possibly also leaving what we call DA Haze or micro-marring at the same time, you might not see the micro-marring because of the protection ingredients being left behind.

So the point I'm trying to make is that on softer paints, it's possible for "fiber" type pads to leave their own marks in the paint, i.e. micro-marring. The remedy for this is to finish out with foam.

That said, some people are not as picky about the quality of finish as others and if you don't see any defects that's more than good enough. If a microfiber pad is leaving micro-marring on softer paint but the product you're using with it is masking it and you're happy, then that's all that matters.

I'm still of the opinion that foam pads finish out nicer than fiber pads of any time more consistently on a wider range of paint systems.

Not sure what else to tell you...

psynx
11-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I also have soft paint. So you use Megs Ultimate Polish instead of the D301? Which MF Pad do you use with the Ultimate Polish?

I would try the MF finishing disc. a megs black foam works well with my car too

gportiz
11-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi Gil,

Anytime you use a product that contains a protection ingredient like some type of Carnauba Wax or a Synthetic Paint Sealant, and this includes all-in-one type products also called a cleaner/waxes, since the product is leaving behind the protection ingredient it's filling or coating over to some degree.

That's a good thing. If the process is removing defects but possibly also leaving what we call DA Haze or micro-marring at the same time, you might not see the micro-marring because of the protection ingredients being left behind.

So the point I'm trying to make is that on softer paints, it's possible for "fiber" type pads to leave their own marks in the paint, i.e. micro-marring. The remedy for this is to finish out with foam.

That said, some people are not as picky about the quality of finish as others and if you don't see any defects that's more than good enough. If a microfiber pad is leaving micro-marring on softer paint but the product you're using with it is masking it and you're happy, then that's all that matters.

I'm still of the opinion that foam pads finish out nicer than fiber pads of any time more consistently on a wider range of paint systems.

Not sure what else to tell you...

Thanks Mike! I totally understand what you're saying now. :dblthumb2:

-Gil

gportiz
11-29-2012, 12:51 PM
I would try the MF finishing disc. a megs black foam works well with my car too

Thanks! I'll try it.