PDA

View Full Version : Lambswool Wash Mitt?

vman
11-27-2012, 11:46 AM
I have a mothers lambswool wash mitt that has given me a few concerns when I use it. Using megs gold class soap at 1oz a gallon, the mitt doesn't glide across the paint like I would expect it to. It drags and makes sort of an abrasive sound which I know is the mitt itself because I tested this on a dirty panel as well as a clean one both with the same results.

Is this just how lambswool is? It's doesn't produce a lot of suds compared to a microfiber wash mitt and has a heavier drag. After I'm done washing my car, I throw the mitt in my HE washer and put it on the rinse and spin cycle and then leave it to hang dry. Could putting it in the washer affect its performance?

psnt1ol
11-27-2012, 02:35 PM
I have a mothers lambswool wash mitt that has given me a few concerns when I use it. Using megs gold class soap at 1oz a gallon, the mitt doesn't glide across the paint like I would expect it to. It drags and makes sort of an abrasive sound which I know is the mitt itself because I tested this on a dirty panel as well as a clean one both with the same results.

Is this just how lambswool is? It's doesn't produce a lot of suds compared to a microfiber wash mitt and has a heavier drag. After I'm done washing my car, I throw the mitt in my HE washer and put it on the rinse and spin cycle and then leave it to hang dry. Could putting it in the washer affect its performance?

I bought the Dojo Juice "wookie fist" wool wash mitt a while back.
Sheepskin wash mitt, Supernatural Wash Mitt, The Wookie mitt, wool wash mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/supernatural-wash-mitt.html)

It is the best wash medium that I ever used. Never experienced the "dragging, abrasive sound" as you described. I never wash the mitt in the washer either. I simply rinse it off in a bucket of clean water and hang dry. Once dried, I store it in a large zip lock bag.

Mike Phillips
11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Is the Mother's wash mitt new? And new looking?

Or is it becoming tatty looking?

I like real lambswool wash mitts but only when they are new or like new, once they start to look worn or the fibers mat together you need to brush them out with a brush or relegate them to bumpers and fender lips and get a new wash mitt.

A new wash mitt that is soft and gentle to a paint in excellent condition is less costly than buffing out your car all over again.

I like the CarPro and Dodo Juice lambswool mitts too and have an article about how to brush them out to keep them gentle to your car's finish.

:)

RMM
11-27-2012, 05:12 PM
After I'm done washing my car, I throw the mitt in my HE washer and put it on the rinse and spin cycle and then leave it to hang dry. Could putting it in the washer affect its performance?

Your washing process is definitely a no-no. Just put it under running water to get all the dirt out, squeeze it, let it dry and then, if necessary, comb it.

The best wash mitt I used so far is:
Merino wool wash mitt, auto wash mitt, sheepskin wash mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html)

vman
11-27-2012, 06:22 PM
I see. I guess it was the way I was washing and drying it. The fibers are very matted up and stuck together but they loosen up quite a bit when I soak it in my wash bucket. Ive only used this wash mitt maybe 5 times at most but I think ill have to retire it from paint work.

VISITOR
11-27-2012, 07:14 PM
I never use the washer to wash any wash media. With sheepskin mitts I put the hose inside and let the water flush out the debris and massage as much dirt out as possible before putting it inside a clean bucket of water one last time and squeeze out anything left before I open the cuff and hang dry it with a pant hanger.

vman
11-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Can you guys recommend me a low maintenance wash mitt that that still works extremely well?

Charleston
11-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Can you guys recommend me a low maintenance wash mitt that that still works extremely well?

YES!

The Meguiars MF mitt. It is cheap and an amazing mitt!

VISITOR
11-28-2012, 02:35 AM

other than using the sheepskin mitts, i use a grout sponge and/or zymol sponge...

Mike Phillips
11-28-2012, 08:12 AM
I see. I guess it was the way I was washing and drying it. The fibers are very matted up and stuck together but they loosen up quite a bit when I soak it in my wash bucket.

If the fibers un-matte that's a good thing and probably because the fibers on the Mother's mitt are short so it's harder for them to mat and stay matted...

The long fiber wash mitts will mat and stay matted until you brush them...

Ive only used this wash mitt maybe 5 times at most but I think ill have to retire it from paint work.

What you use and how you wash all comes down to your car's finish quality and your goal. The nicer the quality of finish and the higher your goal for appearance the more careful you have to be when washing the paint and the higher the quality of mitt you need to use.

One thing for sure, a tatty wash mitt can create hours of correction polishing in just a few short minutes...

Most people don't think about washing their car and how easily clear coat paints are scratched, so being careful with the washing process is job number one if you want to maintain a nice looking finish.

:)

SON1C
11-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Your problem is gold class, pick up a cg soap and never look back to that OTC product

TroyScherer
11-28-2012, 08:22 AM
In my opinion the is not a Wool wash mitt that is low maintenance. They need to be treated with care and proper maintenance used. Wash them out with water after use and let them dry. Then brush them out with a pet brush to re-fluff the fibers and make sure it's clean.

That being said my favorite Wool wash mitt is the CarPro Merino Wool Wash Mitt. It is great !!!

Mike Phillips
11-28-2012, 08:46 AM
In my opinion the is not a Wool wash mitt that is low maintenance. They need to be treated with care and proper maintenance used. Wash them out with water after use and let them dry. Then brush them out with a pet brush to re-fluff the fibers and make sure it's clean.

That being said my favorite Wool wash mitt is the CarPro Merino Wool Wash Mitt. It is great !!!

I agree with all of the above, very well said.

:dblthumb2: