PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on these scratches?

SnakeCharmer
11-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Hey Mike and everyone,

I really appreciate what I'm learning about detailing on this forum. I know this question goes a bit beyond polishing or waxing, but I figured you would definitely have an opinion on how I should attack these scratches on my newly purchased, pre-owned Mazda3:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2zzmctk.jpg

Okay, so I am just asking, as a relative novice, is this scratch down to the metal or just beyond the clearcoat? How should I try to fix this? Rubbing compound was ineffective, which I wasn't surprised by. I know I will have to sand, at least, but maybe getting touch up paint from Mazda is necessary? I don't know if I should wash/polish/wax before I get this fixed...

Thanks for any advice..

slapshot
11-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Looks like it will need paint. How big are the spots? if they are on the smaller side, you could try touch up paint, let it dry for a week or so, then wet sand it to level it out with the rest of the paint, then rotary buff the scratches out. I'd recommend ending with 3000 sandpaper if you can find it.

KillaCam
11-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Touch up paint. Richy has a nice write up.
Just don't put too much, I did that and now it's taking me years to sand it all down. Anyone know how to remove week old touch up paint? lol

BorisC
11-26-2012, 08:18 PM
How big are the scratches?

Drum
11-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Is that brown stuff in the middle of the bottom scratch rust?

Eandras
11-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Need some touch up on those scratches

Ed

SnakeCharmer
11-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

The scratches are maybe 1/4". The brown stuff, I have no idea what it is, but I guess rust is a likely answer. I have a faint memory of some burning embers coming from the highway when I was driving home one day - I thought someone threw a cigarette out of their window or something, I think whatever it was may be the culprit. I'll order some Graphite Mica from Mazda, shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Thanks again.:xyxthumbs:

statusdetailing
11-27-2012, 08:09 PM
You will need to touch it up and apply clear, preferably with a small airbrush or detail sprayer. You will need to wetsand, compound and polish. It is very very difficult to blend it correctly. You might want to take it to a professional.