PDA

View Full Version : Help with paint over spray tips and tricks?!?

EWtheDETAILER
11-26-2012, 02:30 PM
I have booked a large contract with a local coal mine for several vehicles that have been over sprayed! I've always removed paint overspray with clay, however I'm realizing technology has evolved and have purchased the Speedy prep towels in fine and medium to help remove the over spray.

I'm looking for some tips and tricks for removing the paint over spray from plastic and trim pieces! These seem to always be a slow painful process. Let me know what products and tricks you have used!

Feed back please

EWtheDETAILER
11-26-2012, 05:38 PM
:bump2::bump:

david79z28
11-26-2012, 06:54 PM
I've had success with enamel paint reducer. However, I have NEVER tried it on plastic or trim.

I would try it on a test spot.

EWtheDETAILER
11-26-2012, 07:14 PM
I was thinking about trying enamel paint reducer or some mineral spirits... I've also heard wd-40 could work but haven't tried any of them! I'm worried about taking the color out of the trim & plaststic... test sports for sure!!!

Hoping someone has a trick up their sleeve!

slapshot
11-26-2012, 07:27 PM
I've always used clay or mineral spirits....but never tried it on the trim.

EWtheDETAILER
11-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Clay typically does the job, but the trim is always a pain! I think the softer surface allows the paint to really bite as it cures... Going to try mineral spirits on a test spot and see what happens

DaC
11-24-2013, 04:58 AM
Did mineral spirits worked without staining the plastic ?

Andr3wilson
11-24-2013, 08:58 AM
On rubber trim thinner is great. Plastic trim, use a magic eraser, painted surface, use speedy prep. Glass use razor blade. Some bad stuff on paint can be removed with plastic razor blade, but just be careful.

DaC
11-25-2013, 08:33 PM
On rubber trim thinner is great. Plastic trim, use a magic eraser, painted surface, use speedy prep. Glass use razor blade. Some bad stuff on paint can be removed with plastic razor blade, but just be careful.

Great tips! I'll put it to test, specially the magic eraser one.

I was working on a paint over spray this weekend and used nanoskin autoscrub, but surprisingly it was still needed to use a traditional clay after it, neither worked by itself, but in conjunction they worked great.