PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Sticky buttons

Bklynrx7
11-26-2012, 02:23 PM
So, I spilled some juice on the center console in my car and now one of the buttons is sticking pretty bad. I cleaned it as soon as I reached the house with a Microfober and warm water. But now it sticks in when I press it and slowly comes out over several minutes. Im afraid to get it too wet or use alcohol/electronic spray since the soft coating on the buttons seems pretty fragile.

Any ideas on how I can take care of this without taking the MMI apart? I have CG Green APC, but Ive never use APC on the interior because, Im paranoid.

Ipsdrew
11-26-2012, 02:49 PM
I've used electrical contact cleaner with success, won't cause any issues shorting out wiring. make sure you buy the stuff thats safe for paint and plastic. I shoot it lightly around the button, then depressed the button and wiped around the hole with a q-tip the best i could. engage the button a half dozen times and rewipe the hole to collect any remaining sticky residue. I found it much easier than trying to "rinse" APC out of the tight spots

cartman57
11-26-2012, 05:23 PM
WD40 can work too if you can stand the lingering smell. It's non conductive.

flamed03vert
11-27-2012, 08:29 AM
I don't know what kind of vehicle it is. Alot of the time the actual switch portion and the button are two different things. That being said in some cases you can lightly pry the button face off the switch with no breakage and clean the switch with 91% IPA and swabs or contact cleaner.

y8s
11-27-2012, 08:56 AM
I usually remove and clean parts when stuff like that happens. Cloth and brushes just can't reach the mechanical parts sometimes and it's much easier when it's off the car.

Bklynrx7
11-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Its an Audi, and its some of the MMI buttons that got sticky. The buttons are not easily removable at all. I think I might try the plastic safe contact cleaner or a plastic razor dipped in alcohol. I rarely use those specific buttons, but the thought that they dont work bugs me. Thanks for the suggestions.