PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Pad On A Rotary - Don't Do It!!

theparmachine
11-25-2012, 02:03 AM
I spent the day detailing a relative's car today and was experimenting with different pad and chemical combinations. I settled on the Meg's microfier system. Just for fun on a side panel I tool an Optimum microfiber pad on a side panel and yikes! It was so difficult to control. I don't hear people talking about this but it's a non-starter. I have not tried the Lake Country rotary microfibers but I can't imagine that it's much different.

Vegas Transplant
11-25-2012, 06:18 AM
What rpm's were you spinning?
Which product were you using?
Are you cleaning pads with air?
Switching pads often?

I sought out info at optimumforums.org before purchasing mf pads for the rotary. Chris's response was point on and the learning curve was short.

I don't have problems spinnining compound on a rotary using 6.25 mf pads. I used this combo on a heavily waterspotted 06 Lexus this week. Finished out with OPS on the XP, topped with OOS/OCW.

I also used this system on a hacked up Benz a couple of months ago...Stellar results!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1543/161_benz_resize.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49718)

theparmachine
11-25-2012, 10:27 AM
5.5 inch pads
Meg's correction compound
Results were good but took all my might to keep the pad on the car, it was walking all over.

Vegas Transplant
11-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Speed, amount of applied product, cleanliness of the mf pads, etc. are factors in lessening the hop.
Better control on horizontal panels such as hood, roof, trunk. Not much control on verticle panels as compared to horizontal, but manageable.

I was spinning @900 rpm's on the Makita on a heavily overcast day with the Lex .
On the Benz, I was able to get up to 1200 on some panels on a bright sunny day.. I think Chris@Optimum suggested spinning no more than 1000 rpm's...but I'll have to look it up to verify.

y8s
11-25-2012, 11:07 AM
don't look now but there are some rotary microfiber pads on the Cyber Busters page.

Vegas Transplant
11-25-2012, 11:28 AM
From the marketing of the cyber buster product :

Take your polishing skills to the next level with the Lake Country Ultra-Fiber Microfiber Pads!

Never let a quality product defeat you. Learn how to use it effectively. :cheers:

billmac
11-25-2012, 03:36 PM
:iagree:

theparmachine
11-26-2012, 11:41 AM
From the marketing of the cyber buster product :

Never let a quality product defeat you. Learn how to use it effectively. :cheers:

To the contrary my friend, some products just don't work as well as others. The problem with your statement is that all products are not created equal. Why fight the microfiber when the foam pad works just as well and is a pleasure to use.

Microfibers are for DA's only in my book after this experience.

Vegas Transplant
11-26-2012, 03:07 PM
To the contrary my friend, some products just don't work as well as others. The problem with your statement is that all products are not created equal. Why fight the microfiber when the foam pad works just as well and is a pleasure to use.

Forgive me for the error of my ways. My bad :o
You are right, and I am wrong.

Microfibers are for DA's only in my book after this experience.

Find something you like, and use it often :dblthumb2: